Looking for some guidance for fishing wires.

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmaclicious

Looking for some guidance for fishing wires.

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I want to re-wire my front & back doorbells, as well as the chime in the upstairs hall way as right now the transformer (which i think doesn't work) is in the basement rec-room mounted to a junction box.. but considering Im trying to remove the JB's from the rec-room so I can drywall the ceiling, I need to move the wiring as it's a mess... I tried unscrewing the doorbells and going into the basement to see If I could pull the wires at all... but my luck, they seem to be stapled tight in the walls. The holes that were drilled behind the doorbells are super small roughly 1/4". Would the best way to go about this is drill the doorbell hole a bit bigger and get one of those 3/8" super flexible drill bits and go from the outside and drill down into the wood to enter the basement then pull the wire, and for the upstairs unmount the current chime, cut a bigger opening where the current wires come through and feed the bit from the top and drill down into the basement then pull the wire? Like seriously how did someone fish wire through this tiny hole where the chime is all the way from the basement ?
I want to go with the Ring Video doorbells... or would going wireless be the better than wiring the doorbells these days?

I guess another option if possible would be splicing the wires as long as the joints dont need to be accessible but the current wires are not the typical red/white wire normally used for doorbell, theres red/blue/white going from the transformer to the chime, and then black/white for the doorbell runs.
Attachments
7B22F2C1-8A5A-4CEE-B65C-A4B4CEEFCA8B.jpeg
7B22F2C1-8A5A-4CEE-B65C-A4B4CEEFCA8B.jpeg (88.96 KiB) Viewed 508 times

Aaron

Re: Looking for some guidance for fishing wires.

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Well as far as fishing wires behind existing walls, well, you just got to be creative. There's no magic. Only technique, trial and error, and luck. You can drill holes top and bottom and drop a string with a weight on it trough the top hole and hope you see it at the bottom. Hopefully hollow behind the wall.

You can cut rigid metal rod like coat hangers to use as probing drill bits. Cut at an angle so it's sharp, drill through the floor to see where it ends up in the basement. If it's wrong you can easily repair the hole.

Remove baseboards and door trim as necessary, etc.

Use old to fish new as necessary. String is your friend, etc. Consider conduit for that guy ahead 60 years of you that will be fishing something new.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Why stay with wired door bell system? You could much easier go to a wireless system. And if you count your time as worth anything even the cost of the buttons and head unit will be cheaper then fishing wires.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm

I personally am not a fan of wireless. A doorbell is a fixed item on a house, and it should be wired. Otherwise you're dealing with batteries and potential signal problems which is really sort of a long term pain.

It actually really bugs me that my keypad garage door opener mounted off to the side is wireless! I hate replacing its 9V battery. I guess I do it every 2 years which is not too bad.

In the case of the Ring video doorbells, I'd go with the "Elite" model that is hardwired to ethernet. But that sucker is way too expensive right now. I'll wait until there are cheaper alternatives.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:28 am

I had an issue somewhere in my door bell hard wiring years ago and I went to wireless. The original one I had plugged into an outlet and worked good for likely 10 yrs until it gave up. I bought a new one then and its about 5 yrs old. This one is battery operated and I think i have changed the batteries in the transmitters once and the head unit once as well. The problem I have now is that the buttons are no longer made and I would like to replace the one facing South as the sun has really discoloured it . Cant find them on line even so I may have to get a new unit again? They are fairly cheap though so maybe Ill buy and extra button this time and put it away for future use where I can never find it when I need it in 4-5 yrs. ;)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:30 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm

In the case of the Ring video doorbells, I'd go with the "Elite" model that is hardwired to ethernet. But that sucker is way too expensive right now. I'll wait until there are cheaper alternatives.
Admin. has had a couple of different video door bells I believe but I noticed the other day that he is back to the standard old button now. Must have had problems with them I guess?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:44 pm

They're not quite ready for prime time, I have a feeling. The system should be wired only, in my opinion, and if they were clever they'd put electronics in it that allow bidirectional data transmission and power with the existing two-wires that go to the push button.

Then a controller box could be located where the transformer is now and replace it. It should be both Wifi or ethernet.