Adding a new power outlet to a bathroom

Ask your electrical related questions here
DPFAST

Re: Adding a new power outlet to a bathroom

Post by DPFAST » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 pm

The only 'safety' aspect I see (from the pics posted), is that the box connector clamp up in the attic that the yellow romex enters looks a little on the tight side. Those connectors should just be 'snug' and not pinch the cable.

The issue that you may be faced with, is in the event there is a fire. Insurance companies love to find ways to not pay out claims. The other issue would be when you go to sell the house, it could be listed as a deficiency, and then you have to pay to have it fixed 'up to code'.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the clamp. I'll make sure I'll double check on that and if necessary I'll loosen it for sure.

I also understand the risks in case of fire and the insurance looking for ways not to pay the claim. I am willing to take my chances for now until I am ready to change everything upto the code in the summer.

I am thinking that maybe would be better to run this wire from the other bathroom receptacle instead? This way there would be no yellow wire sticking out in the attic in case of home inspection? I don't see the inspector have a way to know that both receptacles in the bathroom are connected with Romex wire unless he would open one up?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Honestly I don't think there will be anyone who will endorse your plan on the forum here. You may end up doing what you want, but you now know what needs to be done. Sorry.

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:02 pm
Honestly I don't think there will be anyone who will endorse your plan on the forum here. You may end up doing what you want, but you now know what needs to be done. Sorry.
I know. Thanks for your honesty Aaron. It's just a temp fix for me to see if I could do it myself. Running the metal conduit into the existing wall without tearing everything apart is another lesson I am willing to learn in the near future. Question is, is this task 'without tearing the existing walls' actually dooble? How would I go about adding a metal tube to an existing metal receptacle box inside the wall and connect both receptacles that way? Would connecting two separate conduits to a metal receptacle outside the wall first and then dropping them down the wall from the attic and lining them up with the opening in the wall be a reasonable idea? Every video I am looking at has an open wall scenario. Thanks Aaron

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I can't imagine it's an easy thing to do; I've never had to do it. I guess my approach would be to cut slots in the drywall. I can't think of any other way. It might just be easier to just take out panels of drywall rather than fixing slots, because patching slots could be more of a pain than patching drywall joints.

Then there's the whole process of bending of EMT conduit. That is a skill of the electrical construction trades. It involves careful measuring, adding and subtracting to compensate for pipe diameter, and trigonometry when it comes to offsets and angles.

So in short, your area pretty much makes electrical retrofit work the province of skilled professionals only. Sorry that's the case, because your install is perfectly fine anywhere else.

If you want a night light by your cammode, you may be best off with a low-voltage solution... You could install a receptacle in your attic. Then run a low-voltage line behind the wall to a night light. Low voltage is not required to be in conduit. Your receptacle would be in a steel box side-by-side with the light fixture box, and you could use a short piece of 1/2" rigid pipe nipple between the boxes for raceway.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:45 pm

Oh! Another product that you could use that is DIY friendly and VERY likely to be legal in Chicago is Wiremold. The big drawbacks is that it's surface-mounted to the wall, and it's expensive. This is a PDF of the the Wiremold product line.

https://www.legrand.us/~/media/89d7076d ... a588b.ashx

You need metal raceway (conduit) to the source power, though.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:16 pm

There are also all kinds of battery powered LED nightlights and motion detector nightlights
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:53 pm

I know all that. I actually started with the motion activated night light that I still use it and like the best. Tell you the truth, I need that power outlet mostly for the New gadget my wife made me buy, a Bidet Seat that requires power outlet near by. I'm actually glad I installed the new outlet. Eventually I'll figure out how to install it up to a code.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 am

I've run a fair bit of EMT (as my name may suggest :mrgreen: )

Most of that was in an Industrial setting, or surface mount (ie, for a garage or workshop).

I can't think of any easy way to install with the drywall in place.
I wouldn't think it would be that big of a job to just take a 16" section of drywall out thou ??
Shannon and Sprucy can help you with that if need be ;)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am

These new toilets that you gotta plug in... All the wives want them. My Dad's wife had to get one too.

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 am

Aaron wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am
These new toilets that you gotta plug in... All the wives want them. My Dad's wife had to get one too.
Well, I got a second one now. I think everyone should have these :P

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Maybe it's from years of electrical work, and seeing things blow up ...

Maybe I'm just getting old, and stuck in my ways ...

But I ain't putting ANYTHING that plugs in near any private parts !!! :shock:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Yep, if you know about NOT taking a piss on an electric fence you know that normal toilets are the way to go. Lol

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 pm

In Europe they been using these for years. Very safe. Just have to learn how to aim better, or get a night light, that's all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Oh I know. I'm just being obtuse for fun. My dad's wife got a Toto "Washlet" up at the lake. You walk past it and the seat raises. It's weird and scary.

It's got to be the only washlet in Burnett County, if not all of northern Wisconsin. :D