Doorbell Power

Ask your electrical related questions here
rchesterton

Doorbell Power

Post by rchesterton » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 am

My doorbell stopped working. I tried to figure out what went wrong by looking at wiring, button, chime and transformer. I have now replaced the transformer, chime, and button. I'm using a Nest Doorbell which recommends 16-24 V to power it.

My transformer is rated for three different output levels. I have it wired for 24V. The white wire coming out of the transformer measures at 18 V and the red measures at 9 V - totaling 27 V.

The doorbell button (outside) works fine. Plenty of power. However, the chime itself does not. The way it was wired to the old chime was that there were two white and red pairs coming out of the wall (4 actual wires). The whites were spliced together and the reds were on the F and T terminals of the chime.

I repeated the setup on the old chime and a new one and...nothing. It's like the chime is not getting power.

Any insight on where to begin? Is it typical for a transformer to provide output to each leg with different voltage?

emtnut

Re: Doorbell Power

Post by emtnut » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:23 pm

rchesterton wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 am
My doorbell stopped working. I tried to figure out what went wrong by looking at wiring, button, chime and transformer. I have now replaced the transformer, chime, and button. I'm using a Nest Doorbell which recommends 16-24 V to power it.

My transformer is rated for three different output levels. I have it wired for 24V. The white wire coming out of the transformer measures at 18 V and the red measures at 9 V - totaling 27 V.

The doorbell button (outside) works fine. Plenty of power. However, the chime itself does not. The way it was wired to the old chime was that there were two white and red pairs coming out of the wall (4 actual wires). The whites were spliced together and the reds were on the F and T terminals of the chime.

I repeated the setup on the old chime and a new one and...nothing. It's like the chime is not getting power.

Any insight on where to begin? Is it typical for a transformer to provide output to each leg with different voltage?
Not sure how you're measuring your transformer, but you should just be measuring between the 2 output wires. You should measure around 24Vac (slightly higher if nothing is connected)

On your chime, measure between the 2 terminals. When the door bell is pressed, you should get the 24Vac.

I would check the instructions for the Nest. They may use different wiring than your old system.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~