Garage GFI problem

Ask your electrical related questions here
Topside

Garage GFI problem

Post by Topside » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am

Concerning GFI receptacle in garage of house I just moved into. I believe the house was built about 1990 but far from sure about that.

I have a ground fault receptacle in garage. When I plug in the refrigerator that is located in the garage (am not using an extension cord), the GFI trips immediately no matter whether I use the top or bottom portion of the GFI receptacle, the fridge trips it.

If I run an extension cord from inside the house to the garage and plug the fridge into that extension cord, the fridge runs fine.

Also, this GFI receptacle that will not run the fridge, will run my small Sears air compressor without tripping.

I'm not comfortable doing any work on this, but I'd be glad for your opinion on what you think needs attention. MANY THANKS.
R. Williams, Ashland, VA
Attachments
_DSC1148.jpg
_DSC1148.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 782 times
_DSC1151.jpg
_DSC1151.jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 782 times

Shannon

Re: Garage GFI problem

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:24 pm

This is a common problem on older fridges like you have there. As they start to wear out components tend to leak enough currant to trip a GFI. A defrost heater is a common one. Some times they will still have years of life left though and other times they are a real hazard that can cause electrocution . It is not very likely that the GFI is the problem but the fridge is. Have an appliance guy check all of the electrical components for unsafe conditions and if everything is reasonable then you may have to run a dedicated circuit from the panel for the fridge that is not GFI if allowed in your area. Do not simply change out the GFI you have there for a standard plug, you are way to close to that sink for that to be safe.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Topside

Post by Topside » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Understood Shannon, Thank you.

Reed.

subzJC

Post by subzJC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 pm

You could also try straightening that American flag on the front,
that may help a bit.

Shannon may advise you remove it and replace with a different one..LOL

Just joking around!