Install 2 new lights with a siwtch from existing outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
mrnaja

Install 2 new lights with a siwtch from existing outlet

Post by mrnaja » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi and thanks for all the information that you include in this site. Very helpful.

I would like to install two new lights and a switch and want to take the power from an existing outlet in the room. How do i do it?

Your help is much appreciated.

M

Shannon

Re: Install 2 new lights with a siwtch from existing outlet

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am

So it is pretty easy . If you have the room on that circuit to add two more fixtures you can proceed as follows:
Fish a new 14/2 cable from the outlet to the switch location, and a new 14/2 cable from the switch location to the first light and from first light to second light.
Install the new electrical boxes you need at the 3 new locations ,sticking the new wires into the boxes as well.
Now the wiring at the light and switch locations can be done like in the video here. You will be following the example shown on the top of the display board in the model in the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRqaDX7A3A
After the above step is done then you can shut off the power to the outlet circuit and make the connections there to the new 14/2 wire. You will want to pig tail all the black wires in that location together and connect them to the brass coloured screw on the plug with a short piece of wire. Do the same with the white wires but connect them to the silver screw . And finally the same with all ground wires and connect them to the ground screw in the metal electrical box in wall and to the receptacle ground screw.

I have assumed you know some of the basics here, so if there is something you're not clear on please ask.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah ... What he said :roll:

:mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

mrnaja

Post by mrnaja » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks a lot Shannon. I will try this over the weekend and let you know.

BTW I built a shed this summer (8x8) and followed your directions in your video on your channel that I already subscribed. Your instructions are always helpful.

Glad the shed worked out well.

mrnaja

Post by mrnaja » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Just to let you know that it went well. Got some challenges but when i turn on the breaker it worked from the first try.
Appreciate your help and time.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am

glad to help
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon