Conduit for heated floor wires in wall cavities

Ask your electrical related questions here
Shannon

Conduit for heated floor wires in wall cavities

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:49 pm

So Guys what is your take on using conduit between the thermostat box and the floor when running electric heated floor cables? They do not really have a jacket on the cold wire end so I have always used conduit. I like fishing it through the pipe when the install happens , keeping it secured and protected .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Re: Conduit for heated floor wires in wall cavities

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 pm

If not conduit, how else could it be done--does the manufacturer describe a different method?

Conduit should be fine if it's cold cable? You can basically use EMT for any sort of wire, whether low or high voltage as far as I know. If it's low voltage you can use it for actual cables (like thermostat, coax, ethernet, etc.).

It can be embedded in concrete which is great for running circuits from one end of a house to another through the slab! Much cheaper to use NM overhead, though. lol

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 am

Don't have a choice ... it's required !

CEC 62-128(3)

If I remember correctly, they updated that rule in 2015.

Let me know if you want me to post that code section for you.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 am

Yes that was the section I thought. Just seen the discussion on another thread with conduit and it made me think of this situation.
I know many retro fits are just fished into the wall cavities for these systems but my bath jobs are always complete guts so adding conduit is easy.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:20 am

If you ever come across a retrofit job, make sure you account for the conduit (whatever drywall work needed) to put in the conduit.

There was an ESA case here in Ontario, the contractor was fined over 1/2 million dollars. The thermostat wires were nicked, and an elderly man fell on the heated floor.

https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/Pr ... 0FINAL.pdf

Inspectors are being really strict on these installs now.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 am

Good to know!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm

The reference in my oldCEC is 62-128 (2) but likely the same . Basically says cold leads must be in a wire chase or conduit from the floor level to the J box.