GfI issue

Ask your electrical related questions here
Sf49168

GfI issue

Post by Sf49168 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey how’s it going ? Just bought a new house ( built 91) So I’m having an issue with some Gfi in my bathrooms. I have a total of 4 connected together. 1 in upstairs Hallway bath, 1 in master bath, lower bath and all connected to 1 GFI in the garage ( no clue why ). Al of a sudden the one in the upstairs hallway & master bath stopped working. ...

Hallway has power when checked by inserting plug checker & master does not.

Resets on outlets not working ( hard to press ). I killed all breakers and turned back on and nothing.... anyone have ideas on possible issue ? Can it just be 1 of 2 plugs went causeing the 2nd to not have power ?

Thanks a lot !

Shannon

Re: GfI issue

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:40 pm

So are these all actual GFCI plugs and are they all inter connected on the same circuit? It seems that is what you are saying? I don't think you can interconnect GFCIs and there is no actual reason to do that. As long as the very first location on the circuit has one and the supply wires are connected to the "line" connections and all the rest of the down stream plugs are standard receptacles running off the "load" side of the first one they should all be protected by that one plug.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Re: GfI issue

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:30 am

Sf49168 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm
Hey how’s it going ? Just bought a new house ( built 91) So I’m having an issue with some Gfi in my bathrooms. I have a total of 4 connected together. 1 in upstairs Hallway bath, 1 in master bath, lower bath and all connected to 1 GFI in the garage ( no clue why ). Al of a sudden the one in the upstairs hallway & master bath stopped working. ...

Resets on outlets not working ( hard to press ). I killed all breakers and turned back on and nothing.... anyone have ideas on possible issue ? Can it just be 1 of 2 plugs went causeing the 2nd to not have power ?
Thanks a lot !
As Shannon mentioned, usually only 1 GFCI is needed and it protects all the receptacles that it feeds. It's possible someone just added the GFCI recepts at some point. You would need to take out the GFCIs and see how they are wired (ie, using the line or load terminals)
Often there is a GFCI receptacle 'hidden' somewhere, behind a cabinet or furniture, that is tripped and causing the others to go dead.
Al of a sudden the one in the upstairs hallway & master bath stopped working. ...
This is confusing ?? The upstairs hallway is not working, but has power ???
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~