Jacuzzi Tub wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
jvelaz1971

Jacuzzi Tub wiring

Post by jvelaz1971 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 am

Hi Shannon,
Hope all is well. I have a jacuzzi tub in my master bathroom, which is on a dedicated line back to the service panel. I am going to get rid of the Jacuzzi. So now I will be left with a dedicated line. However, I don't know what type of wire it has. meaning a 12/2 etc. I have not gotten that far in my project. Actually, let me back up. Currently in my bathroom. I have a 15A outlet for general use. I have a GFCI outlet, which is what powers the Jacuzzi tub. Also, I have a light switch that operates my ceiling light. So in addition to the existing switch that controls the ceiling light. I will like to add 3 additional switches. So that one turns on the shower light, one turns on the fan/light combination, one turns on the lights over my new soaking tub, and turns on the lights over the vanity. So in total I will end up with 4 switches.
So can I use the existing wired from the Jacuzzi tub to power of at least two switches? If so, how do I go about that? Also, will I have to use the same type of wire that is there now?

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

emtnut

Re: Jacuzzi Tub wiring

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 pm

First step is to look at the Jacuzzi wire to see what size it is.
For the lighting you want to add, I would think you could just add that to the existing bathroom circuit (no need to use the Jacuzzi wiring)

You can use the Jacuzzi wiring if you need to, but most of those tubs used fairly large conductors, so if that is the case, you would need to splice on smaller 14 or 12 awg wires.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:04 am

Hi emtnut,

Thanks for replying. So are you saying that I could just add the 3 additional switches from the existing light switch that turns on my ceiling light?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "you would need to splice on smaller 14 or 12 awg wires."
Thanks again?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 am

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:04 am
Hi emtnut,

Thanks for replying. So are you saying that I could just add the 3 additional switches from the existing light switch that turns on my ceiling light?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "you would need to splice on smaller 14 or 12 awg wires."
Thanks again?
For 2 or 3 lights and a fart fan, I see no problem on the existing circuit.

For the Jacuzzi wire, I assumed it was a large feeder (like #6 or #8 wire). But I just noticed you said the tub was powered by a GFCI outlet, so it's either a 15 or 20A circuit I'd think.
Verify the breaker that was on this line, if it's a 20A, you can just swap it out for a 15 and run the lighting (switches etc) from that. Even if it is #12 wiring, as long as the breaker is 15A you're good to go.

If nothing else, use the Jacuzzi wiring for a receptacle, ... instead of abandoning it.

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 am

oh ok. I will confirm if it is either a 15A or 20A circuit. Thank you so much. This is very helpful and I feel much better now.

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello EMTNUT. Hope all is well. Just to reiterate. I will like to have a total of 4 switches inside my bathroom once all is said and done. So I finally removed the Jacuzzi and opened up the walls. I confirmed that the Jacuzzi wire is yellow so it is a 12/2 wire, which is coming directly from my main panel. That 12/2 wire is connected to a GFCI outlet. From that same GFCI outlet another 12/2 wire is connected to another outlet, which I guess it’s also protected by the first GFCI outlet. This is assuming that this 12/2 wire is on a 20A circuit. One of the options you suggested was that I could just swap out the 20A circuit for a 15 and run the lighting (switches etc) from that. Even if it is #12 wiring. However, if I don’t have to work inside the main panel; I rather not.

Outlet 1 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: GFCI has two 12/2 wires. One is the source coming from the panel and the other one is
powering another outlet not on the photo, which I would assume is also protected by this
main GFCI outlet.

New Plan: Leave as is because it is a GFCI outlet which will go somewhere over the vanity.

Can I do this?

Outlet 2 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Not sure where the power is coming from. Except that it is a 12/2 wire.

New Plan: I will like to eliminate this outlet and install two new switches. Switch one will power five
3” can lights inside my bathroom and switch 2 will power lights over my vanity. All these
using the existing 12/2 wire.

Can I do this?

Light Switch 1 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Turns on a ceiling light outside the bathroom.

New Plan: I will like to use this switch to turn on the can light I will be installing inside the shower

Can I do this?

Light Switch 2 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Turns on existing main bathroom ceiling light.
New Plan: I will like to swap out the existing ceiling light and install an exhaust fan/light
combination.

Can I do this?

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Wiring.jpg
Wiring.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 104 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 am

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Outlet 1 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: GFCI has two 12/2 wires. One is the source coming from the panel and the other one is
powering another outlet not on the photo, which I would assume is also protected by this
main GFCI outlet.

New Plan: Leave as is because it is a GFCI outlet which will go somewhere over the vanity.
Can I do this?
That sounds fine. You should look at the wiring of the GFCI thou, and make sure that the other outlet is in fact on the 'load' terminals.

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Outlet 2 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Not sure where the power is coming from. Except that it is a 12/2 wire.

New Plan: I will like to eliminate this outlet and install two new switches. Switch one will power five
3” can lights inside my bathroom and switch 2 will power lights over my vanity. All these
using the existing 12/2 wire.

Can I do this?
If you're getting this inspected, then you need to make sure there are no more than 12 devices (outlets and lights) on this circuit. If the whole circuit is strictly lighting, you can have more than 12 devices (generally speaking)
I know you mentioned that you're not comfortable working in the panel. But you will have to somehow find out if this is on a 15A or 20A breaker. It has to be a 15A breaker once there is lighting on the circuit. Maybe call a friend to help ???

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Light Switch 1 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Turns on a ceiling light outside the bathroom.

New Plan: I will like to use this switch to turn on the can light I will be installing inside the shower

Can I do this?
First, you will need to look at the user manual for the shower light. It may require GFCI protection.

also, how will you turn on the light outside the bathroom ??

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Light Switch 2 (Please refer to photo)
Currently: Turns on existing main bathroom ceiling light.
New Plan: I will like to swap out the existing ceiling light and install an exhaust fan/light
combination.

Can I do this?
If you can run a 3 wire cable, you will be able to control the light and exhaust separately.
It's nice to have the exhaust on a timer.
(2 gang box, with 12/3 or 14/3 wire)

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:24 pm

I did not know how to reply within the same message so I copied our conversation over.

That sounds fine. You should look at the wiring of the GFCI thou, and make sure that the other outlet is in fact on the 'load' terminals.

reply: I will confirm. However, I was going to eliminate the other outlet completely, because I will not be needing it. However, if I wanted to install a regular outlet using the load terminal. Could I do this or will it have to be a GFCI outlet?

If you're getting this inspected, then you need to make sure there are no more than 12 devices (outlets and lights) on this circuit. If the whole circuit is strictly lighting, you can have more than 12 devices (generally speaking) I know you mentioned that you're not comfortable working in the panel. But you will have to somehow find out if this is on a 15A or 20A breaker. It has to be a 15A breaker once there is lighting on the circuit. Maybe call a friend to help ???

reply: Okay. Once I look in the panel I will be able to determine that if it is 15A or 20A breaker. Also, will call a friend if I have to swap out if it is 20A.

First, you will need to look at the user manual for the shower light. It may require GFCI protection.

reply: If it requires GFCI protection, then I would have to pull the power from either Outlet 2 or Outlet 2 correct?

also, how will you turn on the light outside the bathroom ??

reply: As for the light outside the bathroom. I will be eliminating that light, because now that I removed a wall that area is now inside the bathroom and I am installing the five 3” can lights throughout the bathroom.

If you can run a 3 wire cable, you will be able to control the light and exhaust separately.

reply: So all I would have to do is swap out the existing 14/2 wire that is connected to (switch 1) with a 14/3 wire or will I have to run the 14/3 directly from the panel to (switch 1) so I can power the fan & light?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 am

jvelaz1971 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:24 pm

reply: I will confirm. However, I was going to eliminate the other outlet completely, because I will not be needing it. However, if I wanted to install a regular outlet using the load terminal. Could I do this or will it have to be a GFCI outlet?

If the second outlet is fed from the load terminals, then it is GFCI protected, ie you can use a regular receptacle. It only needs GFCI if it is within 5' of water

If you're getting this inspected, then you need to make sure there are no more than 12 devices (outlets and lights) on this circuit. If the whole circuit is strictly lighting, you can have more than 12 devices (generally speaking) I know you mentioned that you're not comfortable working in the panel. But you will have to somehow find out if this is on a 15A or 20A breaker. It has to be a 15A breaker once there is lighting on the circuit. Maybe call a friend to help ???

reply: Okay. Once I look in the panel I will be able to determine that if it is 15A or 20A breaker. Also, will call a friend if I have to swap out if it is 20A.

reply: If it requires GFCI protection, then I would have to pull the power from either Outlet 2 or Outlet 2 correct?
Yes, from the load terminals of the GFCI

reply: So all I would have to do is swap out the existing 14/2 wire that is connected to (switch 1) with a 14/3 wire or will I have to run the 14/3 directly from the panel to (switch 1) so I can power the fan & light?
That is ONLY if power is run to that outlet. It may just be a switch loop.
If there is power, then yes, just replace the 14/2 with 14/3. You will also need to change it to a double gang box.

**note** Make sure you have all this existing wiring mapped out, and lots of pics.
If you run into problems after changing things, It will make your life MUCH MUCH easier :mrgreen: