Kitchen wiring- electrical apprentice

Ask your electrical related questions here
Dbunch419

Kitchen wiring- electrical apprentice

Post by Dbunch419 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Hello everyone. Brought here by the great detailed videos provided by the guy that runs the YouTube account, Shannon. To start off I’m very green in all of this and I am not claiming to know a whole lot of anything. I have some issues with some wiring an “electrician of 15 years” has done. So here goes I have corrected multiple 3 way switches and traced all of the unmarked circuits from the breakers to the areas where Whilly wires are sticking out of the wall in switch gang boxes and outlet housings. My problem is we have on one 20amp circuit, 4 LED can lights. And on another 20amp circuit we have a dishwasher a garbage disposal, a gfci protected outlet with a 4 outlets being protected by the gfi and a pendant light planned to be on a 3 way switch above the sink. Because this “electrician” has roughed all of this stuff in and has assured continuity the homeowner has closed up the walls and just about set all the cabinets. How I discovered there was a problem (like I said I’m not a pro just helping out a family friend) I was wiring 3 way switch for the pendant light and discovered the pendant light was staying constantly hot (with the light not turning on just a voltage detector pen on the line to the light) despite my wiring from switch to switch to fixture being undoubtly correct. On a whim I grabbed my voltage meter and found that there was 60 volts being pushed out of the gfci protected outlets and the switch power source for the pendant light was spliced from the gfi power source. I was baffled so I was talking to the homeowner and he said inside the wall he forgot account a circuit for the dishwasher & disposal so he just spliced line off of the gfi power source (I think because the walls closed and I’m not sure what he has done) and I tested the outlet switch combo for the garbage disposal and discovered the correct voltage was there. I am at a loss. Besides all that information I just provided I would like to know if I can remove the gfi and pendant light off of the circuit with the dishwasher and garbage disposal and then add it to the circuit with just the led can lights as I mentioned earlier. I cannot find direct wording on this particular scenario basically I would like to go into the attic (power off both circuits mind you) and cut into the power source of the can lights and splice my gfi outlets and pendant light off of that power source which in turn would leave a 20amp breaker to power the dishwasher and garbage disposal(yes I’ll be doing the half hot switch combo receptical) and a 20amp circuit powering 4 led can lights a pendant light and a gfi along with 4 gfi protected outlets. And either way the drywall and cabinets are coming out so I can see what’s going on. I just want to make sure that before I do that I can add those devices to the circuit with the led can lights. Once again please don’t rip me for not being a complete pro I’m young and I’m trying to learn as much as I can and any positive feed back given would help tremendously. Thanks

Aaron

Re: Kitchen wiring- electrical apprentice

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Dbunch419 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm
And either way the drywall and cabinets are coming out so I can see what’s going on. I just want to make sure that before I do that I can add those devices to the circuit with the led can lights. Once again please don’t rip me for not being a complete pro I’m young and I’m trying to learn as much as I can and any positive feed back given would help tremendously. Thanks
Okay, so you're going to remove all the drywall to get access to the wiring?

Because it sounds like you had an incompetent electrician.

Do that first, and then you can know for sure exactly what you're dealing with.

60 volts? You should have 120V or nothing...

emtnut

Re: Kitchen wiring- electrical apprentice

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 am

I would think that the 60Volts is 'phantom' voltage. That is voltage that is induced into the cable.

Chances are there is a bad connection feeding that line. Fix that, and you should get your 120V back.

Aaron can help out more on the NEC side, but you are supposed to have 2 SABCs (small appliance branch circuits) for the kitchen. There are restrictions on what other loads the SABCs feed.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~