Backlit mirror

Ask your electrical related questions here
Dia

Backlit mirror

Post by Dia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Hey boys, here's the situation:

Our half bath lighting is set up to run to the vanity light (in the wall, above the mirror) and then up into an individual recessed light. If we get the vanity light changed into a touch-sensor, backlit mirror, will that affect the ceiling light at all?

A. Spruce

Re: Backlit mirror

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 pm

I would guess that the overhead light and the mirror light will need to be isolated. The overhead will remain on the existing switch, while the mirror will need constant power for the touch sensor to operate and control the mirror light.

We will need to know how the circuit is wired, where the power originates, and where the switch is currently spliced into the circuit.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Dia wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Our half bath lighting is set up to run to the vanity light (in the wall, above the mirror) and then up into an individual recessed light. If we get the vanity light changed into a touch-sensor, backlit mirror, will that affect the ceiling light at all?
No, the ceiling light would not be affected by your swap of the vanity light. However, if you only just swap the vanity light to the new one controlled by a touch sensor, then it would only work if the switch that controls the recessed light is turned on first.

So as Spruce said, you may want to wire them independently of one another. Otherwise if you don't mind the requirement of needing to have the recessed light on first, then it's an easy swap.

Dia

Post by Dia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 pm

If it's going to be wired separately, is it easy to get him to bypass the switch and just keep the mirror powered all the time? Is that bad?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 pm

I would recommend either keeping the mirror on it's own switch OR allowing for the addition of a switch later. The reason being is that if the mirror is ever replaced, you'll want the new fixture switched. You can leave this provision in the existing switch box, you'd simply wire nut the mirror leg together, rather than attaching to a switch.

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 am

Better yet, is there a safe way to bypass the touch sensor instead?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 am

You don't want the touch sensor?

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:03 am

Aaron wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 am
You don't want the touch sensor?
I get the feeling that if you were saying this in person, you'd be looking at me cockeyed :lol:

It's going in the bathroom where I do my makeup in the morning, so I don't mind skipping the step of touching the mirror. Bonus that it can't become a toy for sticky, little fingers then.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:47 am

You could probably take it apart and rewire it to bypass its switch. I have no idea how involved that might be or whether it would void the manufacturer's warranty.

But I would say that if you always want it on, you may as well just leave the wiring in your bathroom as-is, and just have it come on the same time as you flip the switch for the overhead light. Leave well enough alone.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 am

Dia wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:03 am
I get the feeling that if you were saying this in person, you'd be looking at me cockeyed :lol:
When are we not? :| ;) ;) :mrgreen:
Dia wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:03 am
so I don't mind skipping the step of touching the mirror. Bonus that it can't become a toy for sticky, little fingers then.
This brings up a good point, having to touch the mirror to turn on the light is going to leave fingerprints all over the mirror all the time. If constantly cleaning the mirror isn't an issue, no worries, if the thought of grimy fingerprints 24/7 drives you nuts, well, maybe a traditional lighting system is a better idea. 8-)

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Dia wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 am
Better yet, is there a safe way to bypass the touch sensor instead?
I'd think that the touch mirror would be quite a bit more $$. If you don't want/need that function, just get a regular lighted mirror.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm

That's part of the problem, it's the cheapest so far in the right size. I definitely didn't start out looking for a touch-light mirror. I don't mind the idea though, since typical over-the-mirror lighting is awful for makeup. Hmmm, meh, let's just do it now and cry about it later!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Dia wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm
That's part of the problem, it's the cheapest so far in the right size. I definitely didn't start out looking for a touch-light mirror. I don't mind the idea though, since typical over-the-mirror lighting is awful for makeup. Hmmm, meh, let's just do it now and cry about it later!
If the price is right, and it's a nice mirror for you, go for it.

I would just 'touch it' and turn it on and leave it that way. Technically you void the listing if you bypass the touch control. I'd bypass it personally if I didn't want it, but it may or may not be easy to do.

OK, who am I kidding, I'd play with the kids with it, and turn it off and on and totally smear up the mirror ... but it would be fun !!! :lol:

Dia

Post by Dia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 pm

emtnut wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm
OK, who am I kidding, I'd play with the kids with it, and turn it off and on and totally smear up the mirror ... but it would be fun !!! :lol:
But how fast can you run when I find out what you've done? :)

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 am

Dia wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 pm
emtnut wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm
But how fast can you run when I find out what you've done? :)
Ha ! I walk on the wild side ... I laugh in the face of danger !! :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_T9ryNQhd0