Adding a coach light to exterior stucco wall

Ask your electrical related questions here
Ricky84

Adding a coach light to exterior stucco wall

Post by Ricky84 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Im adding a coach light to a stucco wall beside a door i just installed...couple questions/recommendations?..

-What would be the best way/cleanest to cut a round hole in my stucco for the round electrical box for the light im installing?(note: i do have access to cut from inside as well).

- Also where i want the light to be im unable to install the box against a stud so ill need to do something with mounting the box between studs directly into plywood and thru stucco. Will something like this round box work? And just applying a bead of silicon behind lip on box and pressing against stucco work? for prevetion of moisture intrusion. Any suggestions would be great!
20190403_202623.jpg
20190403_202623.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 223 times

A. Spruce

Re: Adding a coach light to exterior stucco wall

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

The round box will be fine as long as your wall thickness will allow and the hole is cleanly cut.

Cutting a hole, for a perfect hole, a holesaw on a stout drill. For a not so perfect hole but perfectly fine, you can drill a ring of holes with a small masonry bit, then remove the excess with a cold chisel and hammer. The smaller the masonry bit and the closer together the holes, the cleaner the end product will be.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ricky84

Post by Ricky84 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Ok that sounds good will do! and do you think i should be fine as far as moisture goes just applying a bead of silicone on lip of box pressed against stucco to seal box against wall? I would think so....Especially when coach light is installed and that siliconed as well too

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 pm

I’m not completely familiar with that round box but it appears you could screw it right through stucco into plywood.
If you use a hole saw you may get a couple holes out of it before the stucco completely ruins the teeth,, trust me I know from experience. So if you have multiples to do I would drill from back side on all holes first if you can to cut wood then sacrifice blade doing the rest of the actual stucco cutting.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Ricky84 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 pm
Ok that sounds good will do! and do you think i should be fine as far as moisture goes just applying a bead of silicone on lip of box pressed against stucco to seal box against wall? I would think so....Especially when coach light is installed and that siliconed as well too
Sealant will ensure a water proof installation.
Shannon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 pm
I’m not completely familiar with that round box but it appears you could screw it right through stucco into plywood.
It's a typical cut-in style remodel box. As long as the stucco and backing isn't more than about an inch it will work fine, otherwise some blocking will have to be added behind the stucco to screw the box to.

Ricky84

Post by Ricky84 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 pm

20190406_152710.jpg
20190406_152710.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 188 times
Sounds good thanks for the help guys! I ended up located different style round electrical box further over than actually wanted but was able to install it in side of stud so it worked out and turned out well. Just need to add light and stucco trim around door. This forum has definitely help me tackle my framing/door, and wiring install. Thanks again👍😀

Ricky84

Post by Ricky84 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Lol Hole turned out a bit choppy but i can work with it😊

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:57 pm

make or buy an medallion to go behind the light fixture if it won't be hidden by the fixture, that will cover the stucco damage.

Ricky84

Post by Ricky84 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 am

Good idea! Thanks again!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm

I don't actually know the real name of the plate ... It could be a medallion like Sprucy mentioned. We call it a 'goof plate' :mrgreen: No kidding, if you go to a supply house and ask for one, they'll know exactly what you mean. Just one of those funny trade names !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:52 pm

medallion, goof plate, I F'd up the side of my house fixit widget, whatchamakallit . . . it's one of those things.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Tip of the day for anyone trying this same job, but the wall is too thick ... This type of box you can change the adjusting screws to longer ones ... so you can pretty much do any thickness with an old work box.
Attachments
!oldworkbox.jpg
!oldworkbox.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 164 times
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Ricky84

Post by Ricky84 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm
I don't actually know the real name of the plate ... It could be a medallion like Sprucy mentioned. We call it a 'goof plate' :mrgreen: No kidding, if you go to a supply house and ask for one, they'll know exactly what you mean. Just one of those funny trade names !
Hilarious😂 never heard of that term but tempted to ask for one haha