Light switch install

Post by magambo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I need to put light switch
in the basement one light switch turn on all lights currently
I want to put a light switch in one area so I can turn it off

this is what the current setup is
light.jpg
light.jpg (60.73 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Can I and run a wire between LT1 and LT2 with black attached to black and white attached to white and ground attached to ground to a switch and from the switch to other lights.

Shannon

Re: Light switch install

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:59 am

So what is it you want to do? DO you want to be able to turn these lights all on or off from two locations or are you wanting to only have the first two lights come on and off with existing switch and the rest on and off with a second switch?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

magambo

Post by magambo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm

I want other lights to come on and off with another switch and these to come on and off with the existing switch

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Ok so with your existing wiring you can not use the existing circuit to power a new switch by simply adding a switch into the circuit.
You need to go to the last light you want controlled by the existing switch and disconnect the wire that would go from there to the next light down the line. Now everything after that will not work on the existing switch. You then need to run a power supply to the new switch location and from the new switch you need to connect the lights you need to operate by it.This is the real basics and is assuming that your entire existing circuit right now has power originating at the switch location then running to all lights.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:31 am

magambo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
I want other lights to come on and off with another switch and these to come on and off with the existing switch
So the existing 2 lights are still on the existing switch ... and you want to add another light controlled by a separate switch ??

If so, you either have to replace both C2 and C3 to 14/3 wire , or take power from SB1 (before the switch)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

magambo

Post by magambo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Thank for the response but I am confused
You then need to run a power supply to the new switch location and from the new switch you need to connect the lights you need to operate by it
I have attached another diagram to illustrate
electrical.jpg
electrical.jpg (201.6 KiB) Viewed 330 times

magambo

Post by magambo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Will this work?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 pm

That will not work.
Do you know for sure how the existing light circuit is wire? Is this exposed and you can see everything?

magambo

Post by magambo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Yes i can see the wires. currently we turn on the lights to go to the basement and all light turn on in the basement so i had replace all the bulb holders so that i can tun the light off when i pull the chain in one area and then only have lights in the area i want to to be on. now I want to do is basically turn all the lights when we enter the basement and have motion sensors in each room area so that the pot light would only turn in the area it detects motion. and only two lights are always on when i turn on the lights when we go to the basement

magambo

Post by magambo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I have another option if that works I have a wire coming from the panel to a receptacle. From that receptacle I have run a series of 10 plugs which ends at where I want the switch. Can I from the receptacle go to switch and from the switch to the pot lights.

magambo

Post by magambo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Another option is can I do this
Alternate.jpg
Alternate.jpg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 308 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:53 am

magambo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm
Another option is can I do this
Alternate.jpg
Yes, that is more like it . Do you know what is on the circuit that you're getting power from ?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 am

If that is the circuit you mentioned you already have 10 receptacles on it and adding the lights would be too much .

Since you have access to the wiring You could go back to switch one where the power comes to the switch and add another 14/2 cable. Connect that new cable to the power supply coming into SB1 .So that means remove the black supply wire from the switch and connect it and the new black together with also a third short piece of black wire (maybe 6" - 8") using a wire nut. Then the short piece gets connected back on the switch. Connect the new white with all other whites and new ground to all other grounds. Run that new cable to the new switch you want to install, to supply power at that new location. Then go back and disconnect the 14/2 wire between the two sets of lights you want to operate separately . This will leave set #1 operating with the original switch only. Connect the second set of light to the new switch with 14/2 cable just like the first switch was wired and you will be good. Of course all of this is done with the breaker shut off.

magambo

Post by magambo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks for the advise. The only problem is I cannot tract the cable that is coming to the first switch the diagram with the switch box is my best option but as you mentioned that having 10 receptacles would be too much with the lights. How many receptacle would be Ok I will be installing pot lights about 4 or 5 of them to this only also the receptacles would not all be used just in case we need them. What is your suggestion

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:09 pm

General rule of thumb is 10 receptacles on one circuit anywhere but the kitchen is all you want. Kitchen has other rules.

magambo

Post by magambo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 am

So I have another circuit that is coming from the main with 3 receptacles and two light socket would that work.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 pm

magambo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 am
So I have another circuit that is coming from the main with 3 receptacles and two light socket would that work.
That sounds better. But we would need to know what the receptacles are used for before we say go for it !

magambo

Post by magambo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:22 pm

two computers may be a small TV

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am

magambo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:22 pm
two computers may be a small TV
Yes, that will be fine. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a high load or dedicated circuit.

magambo

Post by magambo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you very much! :D