Dimmer single pole

Ask your electrical related questions here
Home-renos

Dimmer single pole

Post by Home-renos » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi Shannon, I want to install a single pole dimmer, i actually have 3 black wires on the actual switch.. one black wire on top screw and 2 on the bottom one. Do i just wire nut theses 2 on the new dimmer wire ?

Thanks

Aaron

Re: Dimmer single pole

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:38 pm

I'm guessing that the "two wires" you see under one screw may actually be just one wire where about 3/4 of an inch of insulation has been removed from the middle of the wire, and it has been looped around that screw.

So it definitely has the appearance of two wires, but if you loosen the screw and take it apart you'll see what I mean.

If the dimmer switch you're replacing the regular switch with has screw terminals, you can just do a direct replacement and wire it exactly the same way. But many dimmer switches have pigtail leads that come out of the body of the switch.

If that's the case, just cut the wire that was wrapped around the screw. Make this cut where the exposed copper is, then strip back a little more insulation on each wire. Then twist those two wires together with one of the pigtail leads of the dimmer switch, and use a wirenut/marette to complete the splice. Do the same with the other lead. That should work!

Home-renos

Post by Home-renos » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm

It really seems to be 2 wires on one of the screw!

christoff

Post by christoff » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 am

Can you supply a picture?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 14, 2019 7:26 am

Regardless if its two or one that has a stripped area ,you need to keep those together.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue May 14, 2019 10:30 am

Home-renos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm
It really seems to be 2 wires on one of the screw!
When you go to replace it, if it is actually 2 wires, you should pigtail them and run a single wire to the switch.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~