"Risk of Fire! For 120 Volts Use Only!" on baseboard heater

Ask your electrical related questions here
garyb

"Risk of Fire! For 120 Volts Use Only!" on baseboard heater

Post by garyb » Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 pm

🎶I fell in to a burning risk of fire. 🎶

Hey all,

I'm replacing this 3' baseboard heater w/ a 2' heater and I noticed this 120v warning... The breaker in the panel for this "Heat" circuit has a few other existing baseboard heaters on it and it's one of the wider (double pole?) breakers... is that 240v? And the smaller breakers are 120v, right? Sorry for my noobness.

What are my options here? Can I just ignore this and wire the 120v heater on a 240v double breaker? :D Or will I need to add a single pole breaker to my panel and run romex to the basement just for this one heater? :( (Or something else that I'm not aware of, like using some sort of converter or load reducer??)

Thanks for the help!!
-Gary

Aaron

Re: "Risk of Fire! For 120 Volts Use Only!" on baseboard heater

Post by Aaron » Sat May 04, 2019 12:41 pm

garyb wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 pm
🎶I fell in to a burning risk of fire. 🎶
🎶 Ignoring the tag, the flames grew higher. 🎶 :lol:
garyb wrote:
I'm replacing this 3' baseboard heater w/ a 2' heater and I noticed this 120v warning... The breaker in the panel for this "Heat" circuit has a few other existing baseboard heaters on it and it's one of the wider (double pole?) breakers... is that 240v? And the smaller breakers are 120v, right? Sorry for my noobness.
Don't hesitate to post pics of your panel breakers.

Typically 240V breakers have a tie across two handles of what would normally be two 120V breakers. The two-pole breaker itself is generally one module that takes up two contiguous spots with that handle tie already factory installed.
garyb wrote:
What are my options here? Can I just ignore this and wire the 120v heater on a 240v double breaker? :D
No!
garyb wrote:
Or will I need to add a single pole breaker to my panel and run romex to the basement just for this one heater? :( (Or something else that I'm not aware of, like using some sort of converter or load reducer??)
Ideally you'd have installed a 240V heater to replace your 240V heater so no retrofit would be necessary. But you should have the wiring already to the old heater which you can adapt for 120V by re-identifying one of the phase conductors as neutral.

If you have a white-colored insulation conductor already, this will be your neutral. (It may have tape wrapped around it if the installer was astute and re-identify the white conductor as a load conductor as it was being used for 240V; in this case, remove that tape since it truly will be neutral.)

At the panel end, yes, you will move the neutral conductor to the neutral bus bar, and the load conductor will just go to a single 120V breaker. Your heater tag says 400W, so be mindful that if you have more than one of those units, you need to sum the total for the circuit load. Your conductor size and amperage should be sized accordingly.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 am

You said that this circuit had other heaters so you won't be able to use the existing wiring.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

garyb

Post by garyb » Sun May 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks guys, I didn't even realize they sold 240v 2' baseboard heaters! I figured due to the small size they were all 120v. So I'm just gonna return this one and get a 240v one I found instead! Thanks for the info though @Aaron, pretty interesting!