Underground cable question

Ask your electrical related questions here
x5e53

Underground cable question

Post by x5e53 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:20 pm

So my service panel located in my basement was move to a different location(still in the basement but on another wall). What the electrician did was run a new line from the meter and the cable was buried underground and back up to the side wall where the cable will enter the basement and then to the new location of the service panel.

Now my questions about burying the cable from the meter to the service panel. There's was no conduit added by the electrician, its just three thick wires, red, black, white plus the ground.

Is this ok or the cables needs to be inside a conduit?

emtnut

Re: Underground cable question

Post by emtnut » Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 pm

x5e53 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:20 pm
So my service panel located in my basement was move to a different location(still in the basement but on another wall). What the electrician did was run a new line from the meter and the cable was buried underground and back up to the side wall where the cable will enter the basement and then to the new location of the service panel.

Now my questions about burying the cable from the meter to the service panel. There's was no conduit added by the electrician, its just three thick wires, red, black, white plus the ground.

Is this ok or the cables needs to be inside a conduit?
When you say 3 thick wires, is this individual conductors or is it a cable ?
If you can get a couple of pics of what he installed that would be helpful.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

x5e53

Post by x5e53 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Picture Added.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Boy, to me at cursory glance that looks like a a three-wire twisted bundle of THHN/THWN that is designed for conduit only because of the bright white and red insulation. I'm guessing it's copper. You will want to look at the printing on the jacket of the cable. It will show the word "Type" with a code after that. Thay code defines the cable and its suitability.

But I could be wrong! The typical aluminum wire suited for burial is usually all black jacketed. It only requires conduit at the risers from the trench.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 am

100_3987.jpg
100_3987.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 153 times
Aaron is correct the type of wire will dictate if it can be directly buried. I have defiantly had similar wire used on my projects and buried so you may be ok.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

x5e53

Post by x5e53 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 am

Now that there's a power to the house, can I still touch the cable on the trench to check the marking, just for curiosity and peace of mind.

And I also took this picture on my service panel, I can see the AL AWG #2 markings.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm

x5e53 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 am
Now that there's a power to the house, can I still touch the cable on the trench to check the marking, just for curiosity and peace of mind.

And I also took this picture on my service panel, I can see the AL AWG #2 markings.
There should be no issue touching the cable, because it has the insulation on it.
Generally, you should have at least a pair of gloves as a precaution.

For direct buried conductors, it should either have RWU75 or TWU75 stamped on it.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~