Electrical Problem - Help!

Ask your electrical related questions here
FredJW

Electrical Problem - Help!

Post by FredJW » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:32 am

I have a 12 year old house - purchased new. Wednesday, one wall outlet entire circuit failed. Checked circuit breaker and is OK. Pulled one receptacle plug in middle of run, had 2 blacks to brass side and 2 whites to silver side, plus mandatory ground to green screw. Removed all wires from receptacle, reset circuit breaker, and to my surprise, 1 white was hot, the other not; 1 black was hot, the other not. Then, after trying to figure this out, after 5 minutes, noticed the circuit came on again properly: 2 whites ground, 1 black hot (I was in a middle receptacle in a run).

Shannon

Re: Electrical Problem - Help!

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:44 pm

What were you using to test this circuit? A buzz stick or a multi meter?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

FredJW

Post by FredJW » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:35 am

Sorry for delay.
I used a simple circuit tester. Currently the circuit is back to "normal" and all I did was disconnect a backup power supply on the circuit hoping that it was faulty and somehow causing this strange condition.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 am

Well sounds like you may have problem solved it your self. You could re hook up the back up power supply and see if the condition returns to verify that was the issue.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon