Smoke alarm suggestion that meets Ontario Building Code

Ask your electrical related questions here
broddo

Smoke alarm suggestion that meets Ontario Building Code

Post by broddo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:45 am

I realize that this doesn't exactly fall under electrical but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm finalizing the electrical work in my Reno and I need to buy a fire alarm. Ontario's requirements for fire alarms are....strict, to say the least. They need to be hard-wired, interconnected, battery-backup and, most frustratingly, they all need to have a strobe light. So, from what I can tell, most fire alarms for sale in the major box stores in Ontario don't actually meet the fire code (that includes the Nest Protect, btw).

This is one of the few alarms that I could find: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01JM6 ... DN05G9KW91

The reviews suggest that it is a terrible product - repeated false alarms, failures etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good/reliable smoke alarm that meets the Ontario fire code?

emtnut

Re: Smoke alarm suggestion that meets Ontario Building Code

Post by emtnut » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am

BRK makes a good detector, (and Ontario compliant)

Not sure if the big box stores have them, but most electrical supply houses would.
If you can't find one, just call BRK Canada ... they're quite helpful there.

*edit* Your other option is a regular detector, and a separate visual signalling unit.
Either way, they've made it quite expensive now !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

broddo

Post by broddo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks emtnut - it looks like the BRK detector will do the trick! I'll see if I can source one.

The separate visual signalling unit is a great idea and I had considered it - but, I already have all my wiring completed and the drywall is up. I really don't want to make new holes unless its unavoidable!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:20 pm

It's annoying the detectors you need aren't readily available. Usually items that meet or exceed code are at retailers months or years before the code takes effect.

That said, I'd wager Ontario may have the most extreme requirements in North America at the moment. Once everywhere else catches up, then you will see those readily available of course.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 pm

broddo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am
Thanks emtnut - it looks like the BRK detector will do the trick! I'll see if I can source one.

The separate visual signalling unit is a great idea and I had considered it - but, I already have all my wiring completed and the drywall is up. I really don't want to make new holes unless its unavoidable!
Let us know if you can't find one. Obviously you're in Ontario, so try Nedco, Westburne, or Graybar ... All of them, or at least one or 2 will have them ;)

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:20 pm
It's annoying the detectors you need aren't readily available. Usually items that meet or exceed code are at retailers months or years before the code takes effect.

That said, I'd wager Ontario may have the most extreme requirements in North America at the moment. Once everywhere else catches up, then you will see those readily available of course.
Big Box stores sell what goes off the shelves quickly, and what homeowners need to 'fix' stuff.
I usually don't go to HD or Big Blue for electrical, but when I do I'm surprised at what they don't have ... If it isn't a big seller, they don't stock it.

I was actually at a job today, needed a 3/4" EMT 90˚ Flex connector ... Went to hardware store ... nope ... went to HD ... nope (they both had the plastic one, but not metallic).
Ended up across town to the supply house ... they had hundreds of them there :shock:
I charge for my time, so it ended up being an expensive part !

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 am

One of these? I wouldn't trust HD to have it at all. Actually Menards (here in the midwestern states) is usually pretty decent at carrying esoteric fittings.

I'm not a huge fan of die-cast zinc, but that's what box connector fittings are usually made of.

8E2F2030-618C-4067-8A26-5899CF7CCA14.jpeg
8E2F2030-618C-4067-8A26-5899CF7CCA14.jpeg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 300 times

broddo

Post by broddo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm

emtnut wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 pm
Let us know if you can't find one. Obviously you're in Ontario, so try Nedco, Westburne, or Graybar ... All of them, or at least one or 2 will have them ;)
I found it in Paul Wolf Electrical for 109CAD in the end. I have it installed and it works great! Seriously, a big thanks for this - I was getting very frustrated.

But lessons learned re: electrical supplier vs big box stores. Those guys had Seimens AFCI breakers for $50, I was paying $90 in Home Depot :roll:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Yeah only a couple electrical supply houses here in my market even sell retail, most only do wholesale so I'm forced to go to the big box store in many cases.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm

broddo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm
emtnut wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 pm
I found it in Paul Wolf Electrical for 109CAD in the end. I have it installed and it works great! Seriously, a big thanks for this - I was getting very frustrated.

But lessons learned re: electrical supplier vs big box stores. Those guys had Seimens AFCI breakers for $50, I was paying $90 in Home Depot :roll:
Glad it worked out well for you.

Yeah, sometimes the supply house has better prices, but sometimes the big box stores do ... pays to shop around.
Never heard of Paul Wolf, but sounds like they are a good dealer.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am

Lukieduh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm
Hey Guys, Put in a new battery and screwed up putting in the code which I have and now I get errr code and its locked How can I reset the unit?. Ill try unplugging the battery overnight but other than that what else can I do? Cheers, Matt
If you can get the make and model number, you can post that and we can look. Or just google it ... you should be able to find the manual online and see what the procedure is.