LEDs and Capacitors

Ask your electrical related questions here
A. Spruce

LEDs and Capacitors

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:31 pm

I happened across a very interesting video, in it, the narrator was approached to figure out why an LED light bulb continued to glow after the switch was turned off. He explained the phenomenon occurs because the house wiring acts as a sort of capacitor. He tossed the final analysis to another YT channel, I will post the link to both videos below. I found the video very interesting and was curious what my elekumtrickity essperts thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uEmX5XClPY

Companion video on another channel. This guy was hilarious, but not sure I could watch many of his vids, a little too intense for my tastes. At any rate, he seems to essplain why the bulbs continue to glow accurately, at least as far as this (me) elekumtridiot is concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgUy6zA0ts
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Re: LEDs and Capacitors

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm

In actuality, I just wanna see if Admin's head explodes because I took a useless conversation outside of the Useless Posts thread. :twisted:

Nah, I'm not that mean (where's the halo emoji?!?!!?) :lol: I did find both vids very interesting, even though I don't understand what most of the second guy was talking about. :mrgreen: 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:31 pm
elekumtrickity
essperts
essplain
elekumtridiot
You have a safe ride home, right?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 pm

I watched the first one, not the followup. Yeah I'm sure it's some sort of capacitance type of deal happening. Small LEDs like the one demonstrated take milliamps of current so there probably is enough residual charge in the cable.

Rest assured though, if a light switch is turned off, there is no commercial power being consumed.

This probably happens with the cheap Chinese lights because there's no sense for a capacitance drain or something, when full power is cut to the light.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm

I highly recommend the follow up vid, he does explain why the glow happens, recreates it, and solves it. I have watched a few of his other vids, he's got a funny take on life that I very much enjoy.

As for needing a designated driver, no, that's not something that happens very often. My word play doesn't require adult beverages to be implemented, though I ain't gonna lie, after working on that fence today, I have been enjoying an adult beverage or six since I've been home.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:31 am

I could watch the second guy just for the goofiness of his personality ,but i had pretty much no idea what he was talking about when he got to the science and math !LOL!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 am

Yeah he lost me on that too, as well as his commercials.

And him shocking himself... geezus. He should respect power more.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:04 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 am
Yeah he lost me on that too, as well as his commercials.

And him shocking himself... geezus. He should respect power more.
He actually knows alot more about electricity than most electricians.
He wasn't doing so much commercials early on, but I guess millions of views on many videos can do that.
Here is on of my favorites, and I can relate, because I have an old vintage guitar amp with a 2 prong plug.... If the polarity is backwards, you can get zapped via the microphone, or if you are barefoot on concrete :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIvUbOhcKE
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:31 pm
I happened across a very interesting video, in it, the narrator was approached to figure out why an LED light bulb continued to glow after the switch was turned off. He explained the phenomenon occurs because the house wiring acts as a sort of capacitor. He tossed the final analysis to another YT channel, I will post the link to both videos below. I found the video very interesting and was curious what my elekumtrickity essperts thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uEmX5XClPY

Companion video on another channel. This guy was hilarious, but not sure I could watch many of his vids, a little too intense for my tastes. At any rate, he seems to essplain why the bulbs continue to glow accurately, at least as far as this (me) elekumtridiot is concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgUy6zA0ts
That capacitance is common on old homes where there are remnants of know and tube. When you have a single wire, there is a magnetic field it creates. If the wires are in a cable, then they cancel each other out. In the old wiring, much of it wasn't a cable. It can also happen in a switch loop.

I didn't watch the first guy much (I knew where he was going with it ...)
I watched ElectroBoom thou, he's funny as chit :lol:
I did all that theory at school, so I knew what he was talking about.

There are also many dimmers, that are either not LED compatible, or just not compatible with the LED bulb (aka, the value of resistance added for the LED as Electroboom mentioned)
Adding an incandescent bulb, or an external resistor fixes this issue.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Oh man, that guy is so reckless. Scary. He looks like he's genuinely shocking himself too, or else he's faking it really good.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:13 am

Just special effects :lol:

He does do some stuff with a Van de Graaff generator as well ... High voltage, extremely small current, and he probably feels it a bit ... but he still exaggerates the shock :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 pm
Oh man, that guy is so reckless. Scary. He looks like he's genuinely shocking himself too, or else he's faking it really good.
how else do you get millions of subscribers?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Tell people how to replace toilet flappers!

Ha ha, it's crazy because Shannon dropped that video just like a day before I had to replace one. Got the wrong diameter though, wtf don't toilets use standard flapper valves.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:31 am

Aaron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Tell people how to replace toilet flappers!

Ha ha, it's crazy because Shannon dropped that video just like a day before I had to replace one. Got the wrong diameter though, wtf don't toilets use standard flapper valves.
I knew you needed some assistance with that ! ;)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Ha ha ha, no I noticed your video after I had replaced it. :oops:

Had I seen your video beforehand, though, I might've made sure I got the right flapper!