Upgrading bathroom ceiling Fan/Light fixture

Ask your electrical related questions here
DPFAST

Upgrading bathroom ceiling Fan/Light fixture

Post by DPFAST » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:36 am

So I decided to upgrade my couple years old bathroom 80 cfm fan to an 150 cfm one with occupancy sensor, night light and humidity sensor. Unfortunately I only have two wires going from the wall switch to the fan and I will need a constant power going to the fan for the sensors to work correctly. I want the wall switch to only turn the light on and off. My question is:

Can I pull the old wires out of the metal conduit from the wall switch to the fan in the attic, attach the new set of wires (new black, white, blue and red incase I would want to control everything from the switch in the future) to the old wires at the switch and pull it out at the fan in the attic?

The old wires would in theory pull the new set of wires into the fan in the attic. The distance is only 10-15 feet. Thanks

emtnut

Re: Upgrading bathroom ceiling Fan/Light fixture

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Rare for those wires to be in conduit, unless your in Chicago.

Regardless, nothing wrong with your plan, but I'd make sure that the existing cable moves freely before you use it as a pull rope. Also, make a hook in the wires, and use lots of tape to taper the new wires so it pulls in and doesn't let go.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Yes, I am in Chicago and I know, it sucks when comes to any DIY type of upgrades especially in the field of Electrical work. Would adding couple of new wires inside the conduit be any easier instead?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:03 am

If you have a decent metal fish tape, I'd see if you can fish it in first. With only 2 wires in there, it should be fairly easy (depending on bends etc.)

If not, then have a helper hold the wires at the switch, and you at the fan, and pull back and forth. If it moves freely, you got yourself a pull wire.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:30 am

Great. Thank you

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Conduit is a GOOD thing. You guys have higher quality electrical construction in the Chicagoland area versus the rest of the county.