Installing In-ceiling speakers

Ask your electrical related questions here
RussDIY

Installing In-ceiling speakers

Post by RussDIY » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 am

Hey guys,
So currently I am renovating my living room and decided to install some In-Ceiling speakers (thinking of going POLK found out about em here https://www.outeraudio.com/in-ceiling-speakers/) but I'm having a super hard time with this concrete ceiling and sorting out the wiring, not sure how much more of this struggling I can take and really don't want to mess up the ceiling.
I could really use some advice! Thanks in advance.

emtnut

Re: Installing In-ceiling speakers

Post by emtnut » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:01 am

Just rent a coring machine, and core out a hole big enough to put in the speakers :lol: :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Re: Installing In-ceiling speakers

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Yeah about your only realistic option with a concrete ceiling is to have a lowered drop ceiling, with a soft material like drywall. If you have a tall ceiling, like 8.5 or 9 feet or taller, you could build down enough to accommodate the cavity required for a speaker (say 4-6 inches). It also provides a plenum for all the speaker wires where they could then go down in the stud bays of an inside wall to jacks where you'd have your amplifier.

Another advantage is you could have nice flush-mounted LED lights, and you could also run cables from one wall to another, such as ethernet cables, completely hidden. So although it's a lot of work to build out such a ceiling, you do get a few extra perks. You could even just put up 1/2" drywall since you have the necessary fire protection with the concrete. The disadvantages, of course, is the cost and labor of the build and the fact you would have a lower ceiling.

Otherwise, with concrete, you're really relegated to running surface-mounted conduit and having everything surface-mounted, unfortunately, as all your existing electrical in the ceiling was embedded in the concrete during construction.