Broken Central Air

Ask your electrical related questions here
jamesgeiger

Broken Central Air

Post by jamesgeiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi again,

Of course my central air broke in this heatwave. See below:

I have a 1996 Bryant central air 2 ton unit. I have a goodman gas furnace as well (not sure if that is relevant). The central air turns on and the fan spins outside, but does not cool and the lights in the whole house flicker when I turn it on. Only warm air blows out. I checked the air filter (it was relatively clean) and I changed it anyway but no luck.

Can I fix this myself (e.g. is there a small part I can buy and install that is the usual culprit) or do I need an HVAC technician?

I would buy a new unit but am strapped for cash :)

emtnut

Re: Broken Central Air

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Unless there is a problem with your incoming power, I'd say your compressor is shot.

That's not good news :(

You can try another 240V appliance (ie range), and see if your lights flicker ... If they do, you can call your power provider to check it out.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:15 pm

You don't think it might be the capacitor? I was going to replace the current one that I took a picture of (see attachment) with the one here since it's such a cheap part to get: https://www.amazon.com/TradePro-Capacit ... way&sr=8-3
Attachments
current-capacitor.jpg
current-capacitor.jpg (198.85 KiB) Viewed 160 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:34 pm

jamesgeiger wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:15 pm
You don't think it might be the capacitor? I was going to replace the current one that I took a picture of (see attachment) with the one here since it's such a cheap part to get: https://www.amazon.com/TradePro-Capacit ... way&sr=8-3
Yeah, It could be. They are a dual cap, one for the fan and one for the compressor. Usually what I've seen is that if it dies, then both caps die, and the fan won't run.

For the price of a Cap, doesn't hurt to try !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 pm

that is my theory...it is literally like $15 so I'll just roll the dice :) I just need to remember to discharge it so I don't get zapped!

If that doesn't work I'll call a tech