Wiring dishwasher and garburator

Ask your electrical related questions here
greg1

Wiring dishwasher and garburator

Post by greg1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Guys please I need help with wiring garbage disposal and dishwasher.

Im posting a diagram of all the wires. Basically if I turn the breaker on I have two hot wires and the other wires are for dishwasher, garbage disposer and garbage disposal switch. How do i hook it all up?

Id really appreciate any help with this. It was wired before no problem but I lost the picture that I had which showed the correct way.
Attachments
wiring1.JPG
wiring1.JPG (66.76 KiB) Viewed 237 times

A. Spruce

Re: Wiring dishwasher and garburator

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Wire 1 connects to wires 4 and 9, all neutrals from panel to devices.
Wire 2 connects to wire 5, hot in to hot side of DW.
Wire 3 connects to wire 6, hot in to one side of disposal switch leg
Wire 7 connects to wire 8, switched hot to hot side of disposal
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm

First off, that electrical box is WAY too small, you will have a wire-fill violation if you cram all the splices in there. You should change that box out for a 4" square box, I recommend one 2 1/8" deep. Also, no more than two cables should enter a box connector (you currently have at least three).

It looks like your circuit is multi-wire, so you have a black and red coming from the panel for the dishwasher and disposer each, and one neutral to share for them. Check to ensure the breaker is two-pole. It should be a large breaker that occupies two full-size slots with a handle tie between them. This is required on the panel side.

Since the neutral is shared, the two lines going to the dishwasher and disposer will all have their white wires spliced with the neutral supply from the panel. The black wire from the dishwasher, which requires constant power, will connect to either the black or red from the panel (doesn't matter), use the one that is labeled correspondingly on the door (if it is).

Since the disposer is switched, you connect the other hot wire from the panel to the white wire going up to the switch. When the switch is on, it sends power back down the black wire from the switch, and that gets connected to your disposer's black wire. You should IDENTIFY the white wire coming from the switch with wraps of electrical tape around it (or permanent black marker), so that it is known that the conductor is NOT a neutral.

Make sure all the grounds are bonded, and the box itself is bonded. Then you just make the line connections at the disposer and dishwasher ends.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Also, not related to electrical but plumbing--make sure your dishwasher's discharge hose is mounted HIGH in your sink-base cabinet. It should come out of the dishwasher and go straight up and enter the sink base at the top, just under the counter. Then it should swoop down into the disposer's drainage port from above. This helps prevent back-siphoning from the drain. Some areas may require an air gap vent.

Also, if you're replacing your disposer with a new one, BE SURE to knock out the plug in the dishwasher port before connecting the dishwasher's discharge hose to it. Usually there's a sticker on the disposer to warn you about that.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Wow thank you Spruce, and thank you Aaron!
I basically just replaced the cabinets and everything is the same, I'm using my old disposal and all the connections are pretty much the same.. It is a big double breaker that is taking up two slots at the panel.
I took a a picture when I was disconnecting everything, but it got lost. This is a 60 year old house an many things are not to existing code anymore I assume.
I will definitely get a bigger box and will follow your guys directions. Thank you so much.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Make sure your grounds are all connected together as well, very important with items connected to water sources.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Wire 1 connects to wires 4 and 9, all neutrals from panel to devices.
Wire 2 connects to wire 5, hot in to hot side of DW.
Wire 3 connects to wire 6, hot in to one side of disposal switch leg
Wire 7 connects to wire 8, switched hot to hot side of disposal
Hey !! Shouldn't you be working on that bathroom ?? !! :mrgreen:

And are you trying to put Aaron and I out of a job !! :o
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:15 am

A guy's gotta have a day off once in a while. :| :roll: :lol:

And, I'm a LOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG way from putting you two out of work! :lol: