fluorescent bulb issue?

Ask your electrical related questions here
sunburn731

fluorescent bulb issue?

Post by sunburn731 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi, I have a single fluorescent light that recently went out. I simply went to home Depot bought a new bulb and replaced it. However the replacement is not fully illuminating and had a strange purple color.

So I decided to return the bulb as defective and get a new one. Came home, put it in and same problem. Now I think something is wrong with the the light unit itself or could it be shoddy electrical work to the unit? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: fluorescent bulb issue?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Odds are that the "starter" went out in the ballast. The start fires a high intensity burst into the bulb to get it to light, then the ballast takes over and supplies the necessary current.

You could replace the ballast for around $20 or $30, replace the fixture for $15-ish, or, switch to an LED bulb that is rated to work in a ballast fixture. Ideally, you'd rewire the fixture and remove the ballast, because the ballast will burn 40+ watts all on it's own and the LED bulb doesn't need it. BUT, if you buy a bulb rated for a ballast, then there's no rewiring of the fixture.

If you buy a dual rated bulb, (ballast or no ballast), this gives you the opportunity to simply get back up and running right now and then rewire the fixture when you have time. This is what I did last summer, and I've yet to have time to rewire the fixtures, it's on my honey-do list, I'll get to it one of these days. :mrgreen: :lol: By removing the ballast, you save the 40+ watts it takes to run the ballast, and that equates to quite a savings over a year's time. Replace multiple ballasts this way and you really start to see some benefits. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.