Outlets not working

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmat02

Outlets not working

Post by Jmat02 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:58 am

Alright everyone, I was hoping to get some insight here. I moved into a house recently. There are 3 outlets that are not working. My kitchen and dining room have a wall that splits them apart. The 3 outlets that are not working are one in the kitchen (1) that sits in the wall between my dining room and kitchen, (2) The one directly opposite on the wall in the dining room and (3) the one on the opposite wall of the dining room. I am assuming these are daisy chained together. I have replaced all three outlets, check for burns loose wires (that are visble) . I have tested the wires with power on and getting 0 voltage. I have tested breakers, all reading at 120v. I have reset all gfci outlets and tested every outlet in my house as well. These 3 outlets are showing open hot and I need to get this taken care of but at this point in concerned the wiring is within the wall that is causing the problem. My assumption is the outlet in my kitchen is the beginning if the series as all other outlets in my kitchen work and it is closest in proximity to my breaker box.

diytexas

Re: Outlets not working

Post by diytexas » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Did you check the wiring of the next working upstream and next working downstream outlet?

Also make sure there's not switch controlled somewhere (since it's a new house)

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. I'm here because I have questions too

Jmat02

Post by Jmat02 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Funny you say that I literally turned on every outlet on my house still no power. I've pulled out all outlets in kitchen and living room as well to check . In getting nothing.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Jmat02 wrote: Alright everyone, I was hoping to get some insight here. I moved into a house recently. There are 3 outlets that are not working.
So have the receptacles never worked for you? If you've checked all your breakers to ensure all of them are turned on and the wires terminated to them are energized at 120V, then yes, it just sounds like the circuit is open beyond the panel as you suspected.

I would simply open up all the receptacle boxes and check all the splices inside. Sometimes wires can pop loose from a Wirenut/Marette if the wires were not properly twisted tightly with pliers before the wirenut was twisted on.

It's usually pretty unlikely for a circuit to "open" behind a wall, unless there is an illegal splice that went bad, that was covered in drywall.

Good luck, hope you find it.