Recessed light new vs remodel cans

Ask your electrical related questions here
KevP

Recessed light new vs remodel cans

Post by KevP » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 am

Hey guys,
Im planning on putting in recessed cans in my basement ceiling which is open for now.
Im planning on putting up shiplap panels once done.
So here are two things im thinking about:
1) my joists are seriously out of level (like 1/2 o 3/4 difference between lowest and highest spot) so i need to shim and make the ceiling flat before anything
2) accessibility for repairs
In case of new construction cans, they get fastened to the joists and the assumption is the joists are all the same level. Due to my joists being out of level, would that cause issues?
Is there also assumption that you cant access the cans for future repairs once put in place? It seems like if a can dies there is no easy way to take out besides cutting into the ceiling vs the remodel which can be taken out easily. Does new const make sense for attics when you have access from above?
I am inclined towards the remodel cans so i can put tgr ceiling up, then cut my holes and do the wiring. Thoughts?

A. Spruce

Re: Recessed light new vs remodel cans

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

I recently installed remodel LED lights, which just need a wire poked out the ceiling where you want them located. You then cut the hole, hook up the wires in the light's self contained junction box, and stick it up into the hole. Super easy to do and super accessible if you need to make future repairs or changes. Also, the LED has 4 or 5 different intensity settings, so you can get the amount of light you want out of it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-RL-6-i ... /306673240
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am

As for your uneven joists, attach 1x4 perpendicular to the joists and level them with shims. A laser level is a must here.

KevP

Post by KevP » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Yeah, i like those wafer lights. Im actually going to use the directional one for my staircase ceiling.
Only thing i know about the wafer ones is that light is very direct since it is on the surface rather than the cans.
I have a laser level which is super handy. However my room is longer perpendicular to the joists and i want to run my boards that way. Do you mean to run the strapping similar to the strapping for drywall but just closer to each other?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:44 pm

The lights we installed were not harsh or direct, they had a nice flood effect to them as you'd get from a normal can.

Yup, strapping is used to level a surface. Space them as you wish

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:30 pm

In the New England states, the trades install strapping regardless of whether the joists are level or not. Yeah, new construction. Go figure.