Adding outlet behind wall & outside. Pictures and draft shopping list enclosed.

Ask your electrical related questions here
hardsoftrock

Adding outlet behind wall & outside. Pictures and draft shopping list enclosed.

Post by hardsoftrock » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Guys, I asked about this several months ago, but other projects jumped ahead of it. Now, it's my next task on my list. I want to add an outlet behind the TV I mounted above the vented gas fire place, and an outlet for a patio TV. The wall behind the fireplace is not exterior, but it is insulated. I assume this is to insulate from the chimney. I have an outlet right beside the fireplace, which I intend to tap into its line up in the attic. Here are the pictures with my current plan and the questions I have. Below that is my shopping list.

Shopping List

emtnut

Re: Adding outlet behind wall & outside. Pictures and draft shopping list enclosed.

Post by emtnut » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Your plan seems good.

Not sure of your location, but under CEC, you can't have exterior outlets combined with interior. I believe the NEC is OK with it.

Is there a reason to have the exterior outlet so high up ? If not, assuming it's accessible, you could run that outlet from the basement and have the outlet much lower down the wall (with no exterior conduit)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Re: Adding outlet behind wall & outside. Pictures and draft shopping list enclosed.

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 pm

He's mounting a patio TV. But I agree it would be better if it were lower and on a circuit just for exterior receptacles. In the US, the circuit need not be AFCI since it's outside. But it does have to be GFCI in an in-use box if it's below 6 feet height from grade.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 am

If the TV is permanently mounted high enough, then maybe a soffit mounted receptacle would be an idea (like what is done for Christmas lights).

Conduit on the outside of a home is a bit of an eyesore IMO.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~