Troubleshooting a pigtailed outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
6ftdoll

Troubleshooting a pigtailed outlet

Post by 6ftdoll » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Hello all, a quick question re my slow motion bathroom remodel. We had an electrician family member do a bit of wiring for new switches, including 2 outlets that were "pigtailed" off of a GFCI kitchen outlet on the adjacent wall.
I was left to do the actual outlet connections but after installing they have no power. The shared outlet on the opposite wall does have power though.
Anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong or is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue?
Attachments
20190919_131332.jpg
20190919_131332.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Aaron

Re: Troubleshooting a pigtailed outlet

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:32 pm

First off, you need a dedicated circuit for your bathroom—you cannot tap from the kitchen, a room in your house which also requires dedicated circuits!

Secondly, your GFCI receptacle is squished in that box next to the pipe, and the box is too small for a GFCI anyway.

So please, run a new circuit from your panel to a nice large box in a different stud cavity!

6ftdoll

Post by 6ftdoll » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Thank you Aaron. I believe he used the kitchen outlet because the circuit panel is downstairs on the opposite side of the house and pretty much inaccessible without opening up the floors.
We got the same suggestion from an electrician we were contemplating hiring too.
Hoping he can return to fix this somehow.
:|

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:42 am

6ftdoll wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Hello all, a quick question re my slow motion bathroom remodel. We had an electrician family member do a bit of wiring for new switches, including 2 outlets that were "pigtailed" off of a GFCI kitchen outlet on the adjacent wall.
I was left to do the actual outlet connections but after installing they have no power. The shared outlet on the opposite wall does have power though.
Anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong or is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue?
Since he wired from the kitchen GFCI, he would not have (shouldn't have) connected it there. Turn the main breaker off, and connect the wires at the kitchen GFCI and you should have power.

Different rules for NEC and CEC (not sure where you are) , but the current arrangement is a code violation for both.
You need to have this wired properly.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

6ftdoll

Post by 6ftdoll » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks guys. For context, its the husband's family member and due to this I'm trying to keep the peace by not whining but OMG.
I just opened the adjacent outlet and the pigtailed yellow wire was NOT connected.
:evil:
We're hiring someone next week to fix this. BTW, is there a venting sub-forum here?
Attachments
20190920_143029.jpg
20190920_143029.jpg (106.65 KiB) Viewed 45 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Yeah I would not whine about it, the individual who helped you is just ignorant of electrical code and wiring methodologies. I'm guessing he just doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Having said that, you'll just need to get an electrician in there to evaluate it and get it done for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. The hard part is not the wiring connections--it will be fishing line from the panel. That is something you can do yourself or pay to have done, and if you have finished ceilings between then unfortunately it will likely be an invasive operation either way.

Questions about venting would be good in the plumbing or bathroom forums.