Extension cord with "cheater " ground prong

Ask your electrical related questions here
Shannon

Extension cord with "cheater " ground prong

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I was working at a place this summer and the owner had this cord with a swivel ground prong so he could use it in receptacles with a ground hole and ones without. I have never seen this before , what are your thoughts?
CgCUJu0OQgaitrqUkZyWnA.jpg
CgCUJu0OQgaitrqUkZyWnA.jpg (82.29 KiB) Viewed 152 times
hnLNWOOrSDeaLDsNr%AZOA.jpg
hnLNWOOrSDeaLDsNr%AZOA.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 152 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Extension cord with "cheater " ground prong

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm sure that is not OSHA approved! Not that you northern dudes would have such an organization, but if you did, they wouldn't approve! :shock: :lol: OSHA doesn't allow any damaged or modified extension cords to be used.

I can't remember when grounded plugs/homes came into existence, sometime back in the late 60's or early 70's. A time when even Nutzy was barely more than a gleam in his daddy's eye. :o :lol: It's kind of funny, back in the day, everything had a ground on it, but the houses weren't wired for it, now, homes are wired with ground and most stuff you plug in doesn't have one. Thank the plastics industry, plastic is an insulator that has eliminated the need for a ground on most appliances.

Now, that plug would be awesome for anyone who specializes in working on homes pre-ground requirements. I, myself, carry a 2-prong adapter so that I can plug in my tools and cords on those rare instances where I do not have a grounded outlet, which also keep OSHA happy, though I can honestly say that I've never had a fear of OSHA walking onto one of my jobs. :mrgreen:

Side note, first contractor I ever worked for did a lot of government work, which is where you start seeing a lot of regulatory agencies monitoring the goings on. They, the company, were sticklers for not pinning the blade guard back on your saw, my work-around on that was to make a wire clip that I carried in my pouch so that I could temporarily pin back the guard for a cut or two, then remove the clip and nobody was the wiser. What the Guberment don't know ain't gonna hurt ya! :twisted: :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:42 pm
I was working at a place this summer and the owner had this cord with a swivel ground prong so he could use it in receptacles with a ground hole and ones without. I have never seen this before , what are your thoughts?
Wow, that is a interesting artifact! Never seen that before. It definitely looks like it was purchased separately and wired on to the cord. So long as it is/was CSA listed, it's perfectly legal to use. Though I'd be surprised if they're still listed or available today.

I don't think there's anything unsafe about it, really, even though it's metal. Because that metal would be grounded when plugging or unplugging it into a grounded receptacle. If the receptacle were not grounded, the metal plug simply would not be in contact with anything.

The only thing that is imperfect about it that I can think of is the fact the ground prong's pivot point could maybe loosen over time with repeated swivels and make less than perfect metal-to-metal contact with the ground jumper. But it looks pretty durable. Probably better than these cheater plugs that are still readily available today, which make a heavy plug that can fall out of a receptacle.

Cheater_plug_edited.jpg
Cheater_plug_edited.jpg (15.23 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am

Ya it is for sure an off the shelf purchase from years back , That ground prong is spring loaded so you have to pinch it back out of the way when using it somewhere that has no ground. Just thought it was an interesting item ,I forgot about it until I was going through my photos yesterday looking for something else.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Yeah my phone is probably 80% full of pics I've forgotten I've taken. :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 am

Interesting !!

These (or the cheater plug Aaron posted) can be dangerous. If you are using a 2 prong 'device' then there is no issue.
If the device is a 3 prong, and you use that cord to plug into a 2-prong outlet, you've lost the safety ground. If there is a short in the device, then the case becomes live, and that can hurt !!! (Ummm, so I've heard :mrgreen: )
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 am

You get tickled for sure. Feels like sand coursing through your body.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:28 am

emtnut wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 am
If the device is a 3 prong, and you use that cord to plug into a 2-prong outlet, you've lost the safety ground. If there is a short in the device, then the case becomes live, and that can hurt !!! (Ummm, so I've heard :mrgreen: )
Oh, come on, Uncle Fester, don't be such a Debbie Downer! :roll: :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:52 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:28 am
emtnut wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 am
Oh, come on, Uncle Fester, don't be such a Debbie Downer! :roll: :lol:
Well, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it !! :lol:

This Debbie Downer, is she from Texas by any chance ?? :mrgreen:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 am
You get tickled for sure. Feels like sand coursing through your body.
Oh !! That clears it up ... I had sand coursing through my body just last week :mrgreen:

3 times last month ;)

I need to avoid beaches for awhile 8-)