I need more light!!

Ask your electrical related questions here
CanadianGP

I need more light!!

Post by CanadianGP » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Just moved into our new house with a single car garage which is 15x20 with 10 ceilings. The walls and ceiling are all stuccoed. I like to work on my cars in the garage but the only light is from the 2 bulbs attached to the garage door opener which is plugged into the only junction box. Where do I begin to improve this situation?

Aaron

Re: I need more light!!

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:36 pm

I recommend surface mounted bright-as-the-sun LED strip lights. You could run conduit on the walls and ceilings for your wiring, with a nice light switch by the door.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:41 am

I recommend the LED strips as well but if you can access the attic I would run NM in the ceiling . This will all be easy if you have a separate panel in the garage? if the garage is being fed from a breaker in the house what size is it and what size is the wire? and how far is the garage from the panel in house?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:04 am

If the house was built to code, then there should be a dedicated circuit for the GDO and receptacles in there.
If you are ever planning on a larger compressor or additional electric heat, then now would be the time to run a new sub-panel in there. If not, then you can just tap off one of the receptacles or GDO and run some LED lighting.

+1 for wiring from the attic if accessible. Although I DO have a thing for EMT :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~