Over Spray paint in a ceiling box: Concern or not?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Rocket Rider

Over Spray paint in a ceiling box: Concern or not?

Post by Rocket Rider » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am

Over-spray paint in a ceiling light electrical box.
Hello
I am about to install a light fixture in a ceiling electrical box that has never had anything in it.
When I removed the cover it had paint all over the inside of the box and the 3 conductors.
The new light is an LED light - do I have to remove the paint from the inside of the box so it won't catch fire from any heat that might be produced?
And how do I remove the paint from the copper conductor?
Thanks for any help.

Aaron

Re: Over Spray paint in a ceiling box: Concern or not?

Post by Aaron » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 am

No worries about the paint on the wires in the box. The ground wire is the only wire where you may need to use a little sandpaper to scrape off the paint so you have good shiny copper to splice with the ground of the fixture.

The other two wires are hot and neutral and are black and white respectively. Hopefully there is part of the wire insulation that didn't get coated with paint so you can see which is which.

Unfortunately electrical boxes getting spray-painted seems to be a common building practice. It would be nice if painters took the care to mask off electrical boxes, but they often don't.

Rocket Rider

Re: Over Spray paint in a ceiling box: Concern or not?

Post by Rocket Rider » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks, Aaron. I will probably use my DMM (after scraping a small bit of paint off the box to reach bare metal to make a ground) to confirm the hot (black) and white (N) if I have any doubt whatsoever.