Weather proof box

Ask your electrical related questions here
blaubner

Weather proof box

Post by blaubner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I have a circuit that leaves my house through the plastic conduit shown in the attached photo. The dedicated circuit terminates in my shed and powers an outlet and a ceiling lamp. I want this circuit to serve more than my shed. What type of box should I use to turn this plastic conduit elbow into an outlet?
Attachments
C112C7D7-375C-41C8-A574-6472C089F686.jpeg
C112C7D7-375C-41C8-A574-6472C089F686.jpeg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Aaron

Re: Weather proof box

Post by Aaron » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm

You could go with a metal or PVC box, it's up to you. Both are fine. I would see if you can find a kit where you get an exterior box, in-use cover, and weather-resistant GFCI receptacle. You save like $15+ versus buying those items a la carte. They usually give you a steel box I think.

Either way, you may not have enough slack in the wire in the conduit to terminate a receptacle. So you may need to run a new line from that point of installation to your panel.

As for the existing PVC, you will want a tight-clearance tube cutter to cut it very gently with the wire already in it. Then you need to sand off the paint on it and then use PVC primer and cement to glue on a 1/2" male threaded pipe fitting. You would most easily screw that fitting into the box first, then glue and slip that assembly onto the trimmed pipe threading the wire through. Give yourself a good 6" of wire.

The segment of PVC tubing going into the house, along with the wire, will almost certainly need replacing as there won't be enough length (slack) in the wire to the panel, and not enough length in the pipe, either, to adapt it to box.

Does this make sense?

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Makes sense! Thanks for chiming in.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:32 pm

It may actually be easier to just install a receptacle next to it, really...

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm pretty stubborn and want to see just one box. Let's say I'm installing a 2 gang box here with an outlet and a switch. I'm using 12/2 wire. The circuit will not terminate at this box. Am I going to have trouble trying to pigtail both the outlet and the switch together? Four wires coming together as one seems like a lot of wire under one cap. Five wires when I consider the ground.
Attachments
Box.png
Box.png (70.06 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Your wiring logic looks correct in that diagram. Remember you need to pigtail a ground to the box, the only exception is if you're using a PVC box in the USA.

A red wirenut should splice four #12s. You may need a gray one for five.

I would consider Wago nuts. They're easier to use and more compact.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:38 am

Make sure you box is large enough so your box fill limit is not exceeded. I can remember off the top of my head what you need for that many 12 gauge wires and everything else.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't think you will find a double gang box capable of that much box fill, as Shannon mentioned.

I don't use PVC at all, and I know they have somewhat higher volume. If you post the box size (volume, it should be stamped on it) we can let you know.
I think you will end up having to go with Aarons' suggestion of a separate box, unless they have some really big ones in PVC.

Also, you can't install a regular switch outside. It would need to be a weatherproof switch.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Separate box makes sense because the receptacle is usually lower (at your knee level) than the switch.