Electric Furnace not blowing air. Buzz click buzz click.

Ask your electrical related questions here
Timewalker2099

Electric Furnace not blowing air. Buzz click buzz click.

Post by Timewalker2099 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:41 am

Ugh. First freezing night of the season in Tennessee. The air conditioner was blowing cold air three days ago (freaky weather).

But last night I turned on the furnace and it was colder when I woke up. I thought maybe the thermostat, but when I stepped on a vent, it was warm.

I figured the blower wasn't working, but like I said, it was blowing cold air three days ago. I changed the filter. No change. I turned off the breaker for ten minutes. No change.

I listened and I hear a very faint buzz then a click, buzz then click.

I took the cover off as much as I could and I can look down and see the fan turning very slowly.

While typing this it clicked on and the fan blew for about ten seconds, then went back to the slow speed.

Any ideas? I called the people who installed it a few years ago, but of course they are busy until this evening.

emtnut

Re: Electric Furnace not blowing air. Buzz click buzz click.

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 am

On the remote chance it might be a heat sensor, if you have 'fan on' control at the thermostat, you could see if that starts the fan motor.
If it does, you can at least heat up the place. (turn on fan, then turn up heat)

We may be able to walk you through this, but it could take a day or 2 of trying a few things.

I won't be back on till later tonite, but if you post the model # and maybe a pic or 2 of what you have, someone can try to help you out in the meantime.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Timewalker2099

Post by Timewalker2099 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:50 am

There's no Fan Only setting. Just Auto - Off - On.
I stepped out run some errands, but I will take some pics when I get back. Thanks.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Timewalker2099 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:50 am
There's no Fan Only setting. Just Auto - Off - On.
I stepped out run some errands, but I will take some pics when I get back. Thanks.
For fan setting, turn it to 'on' and let us know if the fan started.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Timewalker2099

Post by Timewalker2099 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Service guy showed up early. This model doesn't have a capacitor. It kept turning on and off whether it was heat, cold, or fan. He's ordering a replacement motor. Should be in on Tuesday. And should be covered under the warranty.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:02 am

The motors do fail eventually, and when you replace them you would also replace the capacitor as well. I replaced a fan motor in my furnace the summer of 2018, on a blistering hot day. Having AC to cool the house was profound relief. Good luck.