Two outlets not working in Living room

Ask your electrical related questions here
fjwv

Two outlets not working in Living room

Post by fjwv » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Hello all,
I have moved into a house where two electrical outlets are not working in the living room.
I have checked for tripped breakers , verified there is power going to the lines with a voltage tester pen. I have replaced both outlets as well. They are not gfi. All other outlets and switches in the room appear to be working. We’ve been in the house almost 2 years, they’ve never worked for us.
I’m out of troubleshooting ideas hoping somebody could help?
Thanks !!

emtnut

Re: Two outlets not working in Living room

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 pm

fjwv wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 pm
Hello all,
I have moved into a house where two electrical outlets are not working in the living room.
I have checked for tripped breakers , verified there is power going to the lines with a voltage tester pen. I have replaced both outlets as well. They are not gfi. All other outlets and switches in the room appear to be working. We’ve been in the house almost 2 years, they’ve never worked for us.
I’m out of troubleshooting ideas hoping somebody could help?
Thanks !!
So, does your volt tester say voltage is present ?

Also, is it both plug ins in the the receptacle that are dead ?
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:55 am

The circuit is definitely open somewhere in the house. About the only thing you can do is trace the wiring to find where it's open.

Even though other receptacles in the room work, you may want to take them apart and see whether there is a loose splice in the box or something. Start with receptacles closest to the ones that are dead and work your way back.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am

Switched receptacles or 1/2 switched was my first though? Are there any switches in the room that do not seem to do anything?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes! Mystery switches. Check for those.