Light switch

Ask your electrical related questions here
ollamas

Light switch

Post by ollamas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:51 am

I like to add a light switch off a receptacle. Can you help directing me how to do it. I originally started by wiring 14/2 to my outlet then from there to my switch putting together my 2 white wires and then connecting hot ( 2 black wires ) to switch and to the light. After test I got a blinking hoy wire. Thank you for help or a video if you have one. Cheers

emtnut

Re: Light switch

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 am

ollamas wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:51 am
I like to add a light switch off a receptacle. Can you help directing me how to do it. I originally started by wiring 14/2 to my outlet then from there to my switch putting together my 2 white wires and then connecting hot ( 2 black wires ) to switch and to the light. After test I got a blinking hoy wire. Thank you for help or a video if you have one. Cheers
Shannon has a good video for this here ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRqaDX7A3A

From your description, sounds like it's wired properly. Not sure what you mean by 'blinking hot wire' ... and whether it's the light itself blinking, or a tester that is blinking ?
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Sparky617

Post by Sparky617 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am

It sounds like you're trying to do a switch leg design, where the power is coming into the outlet and you are trying to control it from a switch. You need to get the power to the outlet and then back to the outlet.

This PDF should help. It shows a light, but the wiring is the same.

https://heightslibrary.org/materials/hr ... SWITCH.pdf

ollamas

Post by ollamas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Thank you very much for your time, and providing good educational document.

Otto