Wiring Several lights onto one Electrical line

Ask your electrical related questions here
Savedbygrace

Wiring Several lights onto one Electrical line

Post by Savedbygrace » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 am

I'm going into a project where it has a double light switch in one box there's a room next to that box that has 5 recessed lighting and 5 electrical outlets in the room. how do I wire that room so that I can run off of the same electrical lines that's in that double light switch box? I see black electrical wire tied into each other and then the pigtails coming off to the two light switches in the Box, and all of the white electrical wires are capped off together what do I need to do to run the line from the room next door to it to hook electrical lines up so that I can have power into this room please help????These are the Setups that I wish to Tap into to get Electricity from..
Attachments
20191113_162329.jpg
20191113_162329.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 141 times
20191113_162346.jpg
20191113_162346.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Shannon

Re: Wiring Several lights onto one Electrical line

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am

The guys will be by soon to help I'm sure but my question is what all is on this exiting switch circuit already? Adding everything in the other room to this circuit will likely overload it and should not be done IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Re: Wiring Several lights onto one Electrical line

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm

You will need some kind of voltage tester, to test for the presence of power. You'll need a volt-ohm meter of some sort.

What is needed in that switch box is a source of constant power, regardless of the position of either one or both the switches. You also need a neutral.

Looking at the wiring I think you may be in luck. I think that black and white wire that is capped together is probably constantly hot, and that bundle of white wires is the neutral. But you'll need to confirm by testing it and switching those switches on and off to ensure you don't lose constant power.