Aesthetic problems after removing fluorescents

Ask your electrical related questions here
SC Realtor

Aesthetic problems after removing fluorescents

Post by SC Realtor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:06 pm

I finally got rid of the old fluorescent lights, diffuser panels, and wood trim prevalent in So Cal in the 70s and had recessed lighting installed. But, I'm having the drywaller clean up the area and I have a problem with the remains of the fluorescent lights. I don't have the correct terminology, but the junction boxes (?) for the fluorescents are visible. What can I do?
Attachments
ceiling 2.jpg
ceiling 2.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 356 times
ceiling 1.jpg
ceiling 1.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Aaron

Re: Aesthetic problems after removing fluorescents

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Unfortunately no simple aesthetic fix for those boxes, because wire splices must be accessible. So in the meantime the solution is to put blank covers on those boxes.

The permanent aesthetic fix is to remove the entire drop ceiling and reconfigure all the wiring and lighting. Obviously a monumental endeavor, but you may gain the advantage of higher non-textured ceilings.

However that drop ceiling may be hiding some things like vents and plumbing in those soffit areas. So maybe just the "recessed" portion could be redone.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Here is a thought Aaron.
Because those slims easily remove from the ceiling could the Junction boxes be turned sideways and be considered accessible from the slim light hole??
The one in the middle would not work bu the two beside the new slim holes maybe could??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 pm

If that does not meet code I would cut the drywall out of that recessed box area and see if you can get rid of the junctions all together maybe?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 am

Good catch Shannon! Yeah if wiring is accessible even through the hole of the light you're good.

Just have to patch those rectangle holes where the splice boxes are.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:05 pm
Here is a thought Aaron.
Because those slims easily remove from the ceiling could the Junction boxes be turned sideways and be considered accessible from the slim light hole??
The one in the middle would not work bu the two beside the new slim holes maybe could??
This is what the electrician doing the job to begin with should have done.

The box could be turned sideways, but if the wiring can be used without it that is ideal. If not, then it needs to be in a junction box, not a receptacle box.

If the wiring is too short, then it's either run new wiring or blank face covers.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Can't recept boxes be junction boxes too? So long as wire fill limitations are observed I didn't think the shape of the box matters, just so long as it's listed.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:13 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm
Can't recept boxes be junction boxes too? So long as wire fill limitations are observed I didn't think the shape of the box matters, just so long as it's listed.
Yes, with a blank cover it would be fine.

Note to the OP thou, accessible does mean you can actualy work on the box from the recessed lighting hole (not just see it). Maybe that's obvious, just thought I'd clarify.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:39 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:13 am
Aaron wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm
Yes, with a blank cover it would be fine.

Note to the OP thou, accessible does mean you can actualy work on the box from the recessed lighting hole (not just see it). Maybe that's obvious, just thought I'd clarify.
Good point , the wire lengths may limit the actually accessibility to work on it through the hole?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Good point , the wire lengths may limit the actually accessibility to work on it through the hole?
Yeah in that case, you move the hole for the light. Because you can't stretch the wire!

Not ideal any which way, and a future homeowner will inevitably reno.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Honestly with the recessed section you have there with all the lights , i would remove that piece of drywall and get everything sorted out up there , you can likely eliminate 2 of those old boxes easily and maybe all three ? Install new drywall piece and recut holes where needed.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Yeah that'd probably be the easiest sort of mid-term solution. Long term would be to eliminate the soffits over the hanging cupboard cabinets and see if the ceiling could be higher. Everyone wants high ceilings these days (8+ feet).