Under/Over-Cabinet Lighting

Ask your electrical related questions here
npautler

Under/Over-Cabinet Lighting

Post by npautler » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 am

Two questions about low-voltage cabinet lighting. 1) Is there a certain type of light that everyone prefers over the others? My contractor wants to use tape lights. Seems very easy. Any experience with these?

And secondly, when roughing in the electrical to the transformers (one transformer for under and one for over-cabinet lights) which are located in the utility room below the kitchen, we used 14/3 because I was out of 14/2. We just ran one line and planned to share the neutral between transformers. However, after reading some stuff on the interwebs I've seen discussions that say that AFCI breakers have a tough time with this and the shared neutral could cause the breaker to trip. Anyone have any experience with this? The only thing on this circuit is lighting. Mostly LED recessed cans that draw little juice but also the dining room chandelier. Of course, at this point the drywall is already up and cabinets are in. I could probably figure out another route for an additional run to avoid this but would prefer not because it will not be easy. Thanks for all the information on this forum.

-Nathan

emtnut

Re: Under/Over-Cabinet Lighting

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:01 am

I know a lot of electricians install the tape strips. They all seem to like them (not sure what brands they are using thou)

For the AFCI, If you're feeding 14/2 from a single breaker, then it doesn't matter if you share the neutral on a few drops from that feed.
The shared neutral is a problem if you run 14/3 (2 breakers), then you would need a 2 pole AFCI breaker ($$$)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am

Tape is fine for over-cabinet lighting, but may look a bit garish under cabinet, because it's less diffuse. Sometimes the tape itself is in some sort of channel with a light diffuser.

As for the circuit, you could likely tie into some existing lighting circuit of the house?

npautler

Post by npautler » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks again guys.

Aaron, the only existing circuit that is close (and would be easy to tie into) would be the one of the kitchen counter top circuits. But code says that is a no-no. I am going to wire them up with the existing 14/3 and see what happens. If it throws the breaker, I'll rework it.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 pm

npautler wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am
Thanks again guys.

Aaron, the only existing circuit that is close (and would be easy to tie into) would be the one of the kitchen counter top circuits. But code says that is a no-no. I am going to wire them up with the existing 14/3 and see what happens. If it throws the breaker, I'll rework it.
If this circuit is fed from a single AFCI breaker, you shouldn't have a problem.
If you run into problems thou, you know where we are :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~