Adding to existing switch/light circuit

Ask your electrical related questions here
gazoo

Adding to existing switch/light circuit

Post by gazoo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Shannon, thanks for your help previously re insulation.

I am now wiring and wonder what is best way to expand existing circuit to accommodate 6-9 recessed lights. Here is existing scenario:

14/2 wiring

Power is running to a single light. Light has 2 other wires coming out. one to wall switch and the other continuing on (always hot) to a outlet and a junction box (intended for a light under my stairs, which was never completed).

Should I just leave it as is at existing light box and just sequentially connect new lights in parallel to it?

Shannon

Re: Adding to existing switch/light circuit

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 am

Sounds to me like you could go right from that junction box (constant power) to either the lights first or to the switch first, depending which is closer. Where I am no more than 12 fixtures are allowed on one circuit so be sure that you are not over that either.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 am

well the wall switch will remain where it is now and the existing light is where all the lights will go so i guess lights first?

so does this mean i can leave the wiring configuration as is (the run between the switch and the existing light and the run between the light and the downstream outlet and future light under the stairs dont get altered)? And just connect the new second light to the first (existing light) - 1st light black wire to 2nd light black and same with white wires, and so on?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 pm

So you want to run the new lights with the same existing switch? I misunderstood . I will draw a diagram and post it later tonight, it will be easier to understand. Sorry I do not have time right away.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Take your time, at the rate I'm going its a 10 year project anyways lol.

thanks!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 pm

here is the drawing ,I hope it makes sense .
Attachments
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 2239 times

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Yes makes sense. Thanks Shannon!

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi Shannon, I have not started on the lights yet because I'm wiring a new circuit with a handful of outlets to one another anda light and switch at the end of the run. Dedicated circuit.
I'm seeking verification on what I did. I saw a diagram on the web showing the two grounds coming in coming together with a ground connection from the outlet (short bare copper wire) under a wire nut and then pigtailed to the ground screw on the box..

I connected one of the incoming cable's ground to the ground screw in the box and then onto the ground screw on the outlet. Then I just attached the other incoming cable's ground DIRECTLY to the ground screw on the outlet. Is this ok?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 am

Yes that is ok, but better if done the other way incase one of those grounds some how breaks off of the screw. That is not likely to happen but you never know.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 am

Ok good advice.
I also noticed that I wired the power to the bottom poles on the outlet and the outgoing to the top ones on a couple of the outlets...it doesn't matter right?

Thanks again!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:37 pm

No it does not for what you are doing.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:17 am

Shannon, came across something odd. Wondering if you have seen this before...
when i went to install the new breaker in my panel in what i thought was an available slot, i had difficulty. Upon further inspection i noticed that the contact tab from the panel (in the vacant slot) did not have the same shape as the others so it prevented the breaker from seating properly. The contact is supposed to have part of it cut out so that it is not a full square shape (see photo).
The only other possible spot is at the other end of the panel...its a large space and has a sticker that reads max 25A (2nd photo). The tab there is of the proper shape. Can i use this spot for my 15a breaker? Sorry bout the pics...not the best lighting.

i hope i dont have to install a sub panel.
Attachments
photo 1 (2) edit.jpg
photo 1 (2) edit.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG (83.19 KiB) Viewed 2186 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm sorry but I can not really say for sure. I would have a licences electrician come and have a look. Sorry

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm

no problem. thanks anyways.