Reduce Size of Old Work Box

Ask your electrical related questions here
npautler

Reduce Size of Old Work Box

Post by npautler » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:02 am

Hey guys,

Nearing completion of our kitchen renovation. Backsplash is going up this weekend. But beforehand, I have a tiny dilemma. When roughing in electrical boxes I put a four-gang old work box near the sink. This was originally going to house four rocker-dimmer switches that control 1) The light over the sink 2) Two small 3" recessed lights installed in a beam over the peninsula 3) Under cabinet lights 4) Over cabinet lights.

The problem is my wife has changed her mind (of course) and decided not to do the 3" lights above the peninsula. She thinks they are unnecessary, that we have an over abundance of light already, and the beam looks too perfect to cut into to install the lights. I think each of those are actually valid points. But that would leave us with a four-gang box with only three devices.

My thought is to put in a box divider, cut down some 1/4" plywood and cover a gang of the box (on the side closest to the window) maybe put some quickset 45 over that, then tile over it with the backsplash. I'll leave the wire in the wall in case she changes her mind. But thought I would get others thoughts on how best to deal with this.
Attachments
F21CCE0B-79AF-47F2-9A82-1D8745D43C53.jpeg
F21CCE0B-79AF-47F2-9A82-1D8745D43C53.jpeg (138.95 KiB) Viewed 225 times

emtnut

Re: Reduce Size of Old Work Box

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:30 pm

What about just installing something like this, instead of trying to cover the box.
Bonus is the space is still there if you decide later on you want a light somewhere,
Attachments
!usb recep.jpg
!usb recep.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 167 times
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:26 am

I agree with emtnut. Or even just place a switch in there for now. Its a bunch of work to patch that in when your at this point and you may like to put something there later on.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm not even sure covering a box without an approved cover is even legal from a code perspective.

So if you really want three-gang you'd have to cut out the four-gang and put a three in instead. But then you also can't abandon wire behind a wall if it's live (or even if it's not live it's not illegal but a bad idea).

So I am with the guys above, find a filler accessory.