Dimmable Soffit Lighting

Ask your electrical related questions here
cthull12

Dimmable Soffit Lighting

Post by cthull12 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:18 am

I am looking into installing dimmable soffit lighting around my home. I am looking into the dimmable units in the hopes i might use the dimmed setting on a photocell sensor to come on at dusk, and to wire the brightened setting to either my security sensor for floodlights, or a switch for my porch light. Anyone know if this may be possible easily with readily available lights currently on the market? I also cannot find any decent technical info on some lights I've looked at to understand how the dimmable setting is controlled. I am decent with wiring in general, just didn't know if anyone has seen this done, or has done this.

Shannon

Re: Dimmable Soffit Lighting

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Hmm I'n not sure that is possible ? Lets see what Aaron and Emtnut have to say
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Re: Dimmable Soffit Lighting

Post by emtnut » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:52 pm

cthull12 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:18 am
I am looking into installing dimmable soffit lighting around my home. I am looking into the dimmable units in the hopes i might use the dimmed setting on a photocell sensor to come on at dusk, and to wire the brightened setting to either my security sensor for floodlights, or a switch for my porch light. Anyone know if this may be possible easily with readily available lights currently on the market? I also cannot find any decent technical info on some lights I've looked at to understand how the dimmable setting is controlled. I am decent with wiring in general, just didn't know if anyone has seen this done, or has done this.
If there is such a dimmer, It would probably have some kind of controller. I'd imaging something is out there, but nothing that I'm aware of or have used. I'd think they would be pricey too.

If I was doing it new, I'd have the soffit lights on a dimmer, and have separate security type spot light(s) on the photo cell(s). In the long run, certainly easier to troubleshoot if ever something goes wrong.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~