Chandelier wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
Dia

Chandelier wiring

Post by Dia » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm used to writing or grooves/texture on one of the chandelier wires, but what's what with these colours? I hate touching electrical, anybody want to come get paid in copious amounts of beer to do this stuff for me?
IMG_20191208_183416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron

Re: Chandelier wiring

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:32 am

Dia wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:39 pm
I'm used to writing or grooves/texture on one of the chandelier wires, but what's what with these colours? I hate touching electrical, anybody want to come get paid in copious amounts of beer to do this stuff for me?
IMG_20191208_183416.jpg
So ultimately the polarity really does not matter with light fixtures, but if you want to do it academically right, the pinkish or copper-color side of lamp cord is hot, and would connect to a black wire. The whitish or silver color would connect to a white wire, neutral.

You're in greater Toronto, no? I think nutzy's your closest resource! A few beers could bribe him.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:36 am

Looking at the wires they both look silver. In that case you'd need to use a volt-ohm meter to trace out which wire has continuity with the base contact of the lampholder!

But like I said above, it just doesn't matter!

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:53 am

Ok, but if I get shocked changing bulbs, I'm lookin at you lol

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Well just don't touch accidentally the threaded part of the bulb socket, because normally that would be neutral and you wouldn't get shocked. But if the polarity is reversed it would be the "hot" side and that bottom contact would be neutral.

Best yet, always screw in bulbs when the switch is off to a light. Then it's never possible to ever get shocked.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I just wanted to say one last "Hi Dia" , before the inevitable :shock:

We'll miss you :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:00 am

emtnut wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Dia wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:53 am
Ok, but if I get shocked changing bulbs, I'm lookin at you lol
Generally speaking, if the mfr sees an issue with shock they will mark the polarity of the wires.
I've installed many fixtures like yours with just 2 same colored wires.

Even if the wires were polarity correct, there can still be current on the neutral wire and a risk of shock. So whenever anyone changes a bulb, hold the bulb and not the base as you are screwing it in.

Even if you were to touch the 120V, then you would still need to be grounded to get a shock ... usually would happen if you are touching the metal case of the fixture with your other hand.
One hand rule ... If you put the light in with the other hand not touching metal, you're good to go .... this is good advice for any electrical work.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I'd also add that you should wear gloves and a helmet, too. Also have someone nearby, to call paramedics if necessary.

Dia

Post by Dia » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm
I'd also add that you should wear gloves and a helmet, too. Also have someone nearby, to call paramedics if necessary.
This is what I've always suspected!

Dia

Post by Dia » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm
I just wanted to say one last "Hi Dia" , before the inevitable :shock:

:lol: :lol: Hey, when are you coming to visit me and help me change my fuses to breakers? I have $1700 budgeted and some guy tried to quote me $4000. He seemed shocked when I said no thanks. I have yet to get other quotes, but I'm probably better off buttering you up instead anyway, right? 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:33 am

$4k is not outrageous, but I'd seek more bids. It's not a cheap upgrade. Your hydro may need to come out and upgrade the feed to the meter to support up to 200A, that is the standard service capacity any new construction or upgrade in service gets. For your bids inquire whether breaker panel replacement includes a new meter socket and service feed. Also get estimate breakdowns of labor and materials.

Is your fuse panel limiting you in any way? Fuses are quite safe.

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 pm

It was only a consideration because of a realtor's suggestions. I have a misc budget that I can add to it, but I'd never throw more than 3k at it.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:34 am

Yeah it's definitely an old-timey thing that realtors and home buyers don't like to see, and some fuse box systems are 60 amps and don't have any 240V capacity for electric appliances like oven/ranges, electric clothes dryers, and electric water heaters. Often those appliances are instead powered by natural gas, which most people are fine with. It's central air conditioning in a house with a forced air furnace that gets people to want/need 240V.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:53 am

The last couple years here no house can be sold without at least a 100amp breaker box.So on older homes for sale you almost always see that as a recent upgrade.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Dia wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 pm
It was only a consideration because of a realtor's suggestions. I have a misc budget that I can add to it, but I'd never throw more than 3k at it.
OK, so $2,999.97 ?? :mrgreen:

J/K ... we're 'internet close' but not driveable close ! But nice to hear that you would trust my work :D

Realtors and Home Inspectors are not usually a good place to get electrical advice from.
It's nice to put in a new panel, but for the most part (assuming the panel is in good condition) a fuse panel is safer in many ways. I come from an Industrial background, and for many motor loads we will only use fuses, because a breaker will allow ALOT of current to flow in a fault.

Even if you were to change the panel, it's usually the wiring in the house that should be looked at. Is it Al, or ungrounded wiring ? What condition are all the splices in ?

Having said that, I'm assuming it is a 100A fused service. If it's a 60A service, then definitely should be upgraded.

Maybe a pic or 2 of the incoming service, and the main panel ??