canada basement + bathroom wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
Tacomaking09

canada basement + bathroom wiring

Post by Tacomaking09 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Struggling trying to finish the wiring in the basement and mixed info everywhere. Trying to limit the amount of space I need to take up in the electrical panel. For the basement bathroom I originally planned to have the Vanity Light, Bathroom Fan, Shower Light(Slim Led rated for wet location) all on my entire basement lighting circuit. I cannot find any info in regards if these need to also be GFCI protected. I plan to run a dedicated circuit for 1x GFCI outlet, in-floor heat, and a heated towel rack.. would 15a be suffice or should a 20a ciruit be used here. The bathroom exhaust fan would be around 36" or so from the shower stall, and the shower light itself is in a low ceiling basement 84" to ceiling from shower floor.

thank you in advance.

emtnut

Re: canada basement + bathroom wiring

Post by emtnut » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Tacomaking09 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:50 pm
Struggling trying to finish the wiring in the basement and mixed info everywhere. Trying to limit the amount of space I need to take up in the electrical panel. For the basement bathroom I originally planned to have the Vanity Light, Bathroom Fan, Shower Light(Slim Led rated for wet location) all on my entire basement lighting circuit. I cannot find any info in regards if these need to also be GFCI protected.
Only outlets within 5' of water (sink/shower) need GFCI protection
For the shower light and bathroom fan, code doesn't require GFCI, but if the mfr (instructions with the unit) call for GFCI, then you need it

Tacomaking09 wrote:
I plan to run a dedicated circuit for 1x GFCI outlet, in-floor heat, and a heated towel rack.. would 15a be suffice or should a 20a ciruit be used here. The bathroom exhaust fan would be around 36" or so from the shower stall, and the shower light itself is in a low ceiling basement 84" to ceiling from shower floor.
Not sure if you want that all on one circuit, but we can't say if a 15 or 20A circuit is needed unless we know the actual loads.
Most in-floor heat requires a dedicated circuit as well (a mfr requirement)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Tacomaking09

Post by Tacomaking09 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm

emtnut wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:00 pm
Tacomaking09 wrote:
Struggling trying to finish the wiring in the basement and mixed info everywhere. Trying to limit the amount of space I need to take up in the electrical panel. For the basement bathroom I originally planned to have the Vanity Light, Bathroom Fan, Shower Light(Slim Led rated for wet location) all on my entire basement lighting circuit. I cannot find any info in regards if these need to also be GFCI protected.
Only outlets within 5' of water (sink/shower) need GFCI protection
For the shower light and bathroom fan, code doesn't require GFCI, but if the mfr (instructions with the unit) call for GFCI, then you need it

Tacomaking09 wrote:
I plan to run a dedicated circuit for 1x GFCI outlet, in-floor heat, and a heated towel rack.. would 15a be suffice or should a 20a ciruit be used here. The bathroom exhaust fan would be around 36" or so from the shower stall, and the shower light itself is in a low ceiling basement 84" to ceiling from shower floor.
Not sure if you want that all on one circuit, but we can't say if a 15 or 20A circuit is needed unless we know the actual loads.
Most in-floor heat requires a dedicated circuit as well (a mfr requirement)

Thank you. Maybe just to be safe from whatever demonic inspector I may have to deal with or swapping out devices in the future i'll do a 15a GFCI circuit breaker in the panel, then from the panel > double gang switch box > switch 1 to vanity light // then switch 2 to bathroom fan > shower light > heated towel rack so then the towel rack would be on while the fan + shower light is on.
Then run a dedicated 20a GFCI for vanity outlet and I guess I will have to spare a 15a circuit for the dedicated in-floor heat as required.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:26 am

Tacomaking09 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Thank you. Maybe just to be safe from whatever demonic inspector I may have to deal with or swapping out devices in the future i'll do a 15a GFCI circuit breaker in the panel, then from the panel > double gang switch box > switch 1 to vanity light // then switch 2 to bathroom fan > shower light > heated towel rack so then the towel rack would be on while the fan + shower light is on.
Then run a dedicated 20a GFCI for vanity outlet and I guess I will have to spare a 15a circuit for the dedicated in-floor heat as required.
Keep in mind if your plans change, you can't have ANY part of lighting on a 20A circuit ... the demonic inspector will fail that everytime :mrgreen:

Also, for the floor heat, the 'cold leads' need to be in conduit (flush with the floor). It's best to have 2 conduits, one for the leads, and the other for the tstat wires. Feed that into a 4x4 box.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~