Snap in vs Locking connector

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmaclicious

Snap in vs Locking connector

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 pm

Curious to hear your opinion on snap-in plastic connectors for K.O vs locking screw in connectors? I have snap-in connectors at my electrical panel and was thinking about using those for some junction boxes instead of the locking connectors.
Last edited by Jmaclicious on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Spruce

Re: Snap in vs Locking connector

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:30 pm

IMHO, the primary reason for these is to prevent abrasion of the conductors by the sharp edges of the knock outs. In addition, the pinch of the connector on the conductor prevents the conductor from being pulled out of place.

So, to answer your question, either will do fine, choose the one that is easiest to use and keeps the wires where they need to be.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Re: Snap in vs Locking connector

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 pm

The nylon snap-in type have been getting more popular, just for their speed and convenience. But if you need to pull out a cable, you're in a bit of a pickle because the cable only goes through one way. You must therefore cut it apart with a razor, discard it, and use a new one to reinsert the cable.

The metal ones with a saddle clamp that tightens or loosens with screws is good for adding or removing cable. It takes more time to install as you need to thread a locknut washer on the inside of the box, and tighten it in place.

Some boxes have 3/8" knockouts on the outside end corners of the box, with a large saddle clamp inside the box that tightens down with a single #10 screw. These are actually my preferred box. If I don't have cables entering from the opposite end, I remove that clamp to free up a little bit of space inside the box for wire-fill.

Like Spruce said above, each accomplish the same goal of protecting and securing the cable to the box. It really just depends on your preference.