Two conductor no ground cable

Ask your electrical related questions here
blaubner

Two conductor no ground cable

Post by blaubner » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:20 am

A new circuit breaker was installed in my home sometime within the last two years before I bought it. For some circuits, the electrician(s) that performed the work hooked up modern (Romex) 12-2 non metallic cable to the old cable. I found a splice box in my attic with 4 Romex circuits going in, and four old cables coming out. The attached picture is the type of cable that is feeding a lot of outlets and lights toward the back of my house. The cable reads "COLLYER CABLEX - 14/2 - TYPE NM - 600V." These Collyer cables have two conductors and no neutral.

How concerned should I be that half of my house is still running on these Collyer cables?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emtnut

Re: Two conductor no ground cable

Post by emtnut » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 am

I doubt it was an 'electrician' that did that !

The only code compliant way to extend an ungrounded circuit, is to replace all the cable, and install AFCI or GFCI protection.
For now (for your safety), you could install GFCI receptacles for life safety until you can remedy this.

The GFCI provides 'life' protection, but since there is no ground, things like surge protector power bars will not work.

Also, worth checking if the old cable is Aluminum ( I don't think so, but if it is , it requires special connectors)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. How can I tell if the wires are aluminum?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Aluminum is whitish-gray conductor, and copper is pinkish gold or brownish.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:01 am

Just to clarify to the original poster , they said the wire was"2 conductor without a neutral". It actually won have a hot and a neutral but no ground.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 am

Yeah I assume he misspoke.