Wiring questions

Ask your electrical related questions here
rowena1924

Wiring questions

Post by rowena1924 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 am

Hi, I just removed our ceiling fan and now I want to install a flushmount light. Please see the picture. There’s one black wire and White and Black that are connected together. Im wondering why black and white wires are connected together. Which wire is neutral or hot? Please help. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron

Re: Wiring questions

Post by Aaron » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:16 am

You can test with the ground wire (the green one). If you use a volt-ohm meter, you should measure 120V AC between a hot wire and the ground, and also between a hot and a neutral. You should get 0V between a neutral and a ground.

rowena1924

Post by rowena1924 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:45 am

thanks Aaron 👍First, I have to separate the 2 wires that are twisted together right? And also that green wire is attached to the old ceiling fan bracket that I removed. How & where should i get a ground wire now? Thanks

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Ah I see that... that green is only connected to the bracket. Was the other end of it ever connected to anything before you took the fan down?

You have the power off to that box, right? Can you take the bracket off and take a picture of all the connections pulled out from the box?

I think I see some old cloth-covered wire in there. Older house?