Adding another outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
Invest777

Adding another outlet

Post by Invest777 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Hey guys! What's up Shannon! Nice bathroom upgrade, I'm quite sure it feels like your bathing in luxury now lol.

Anyways my question is

I want to add an Outlet behind my TV ( to help hide the wires). So i want to connect the additional Outlet to the outlet that's below the fireplace. the problem is the 15 amp breaker already have I think 7 or 8 outlets already connected. but I don't use about 3 of those outlets.

So i my question is : will it be an issue for me to run another outlet from the bottom outlet without popping the breaker due to excessive power usage?

Thanks in Advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Re: Adding another outlet

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:59 pm

I will be hanging 3 tvs in the next week and have to contend with cables as well. While at Evil Orange I came across an in wall raceway that could solve your problem without adding additional load on the electrical circuit.

Couldn't find an Evil Orange link, so here's an Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DY6B6L
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:00 am

For AC electrical (power), you will need to run cable from your existing receptacle to where you want it on the wall. It cannot be in the same conduit as your low-voltage cables (like HDMI cables). There was a discussion about this a couple weeks ago here:

viewtopic.php?t=9203

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:24 am

Thanks alot spruce. That looks like a good idea and even a more better idea- I think I can make that out of basic plumbing and save 90% lol. Definitely appreciate it. Thanks Aaron as well

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:09 am

Just bear in mind that it doesn't matter how you run low voltage cabling, you really don't even need conduit... it can just be loose behind the drywall and come in and out of holes on both ends.

Power cable (Type NM-B/NMD90), wires (THHN/THWN), or plug-in cords cannot be enclosed in unlisted conduit, and/or conduit co-existing with low-voltage cords or cables. At least not legally.