Basement Reno Electrical Questions

Ask your electrical related questions here
Sean1322

Basement Reno Electrical Questions

Post by Sean1322 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am

Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my basement and am now sitting at the electrical stage. A few questions about wiring/breakers/AFCI requirements. I think I have researched most of these questions almost too much and now my information is all jumbled... so I've come here to put all the answers in one place :)

Note: I fall under the Ontario Building Code

• Can the extra laundry outlet for general use be on same circuit as dedicated outlet for washing machine/gas dryer?

• If I replace my breaker panel, and don't modify the circuits, am I required to upgrade any breakers to AFCI or can I just put standard breakers back in?

• Do dedicated lighting circuits require CAFCI breakers?

• Do appliances with dedicated inaccessible outlets require CAFCI breakers? (Over the range microwave, gas oven, water heater, furnace, A/C?)

• Does a basement freezer with a dedicated circuit need CAFCI breaker?

• For the rough-in inspection, do I connect new circuits to the panel? Do I make the connections at the outlet boxes/switches? Or do I just wire nut everything in the boxes?

And lastly, does anyone have a preferred method of running wire through a metal top plate? I'm thinking I'll use a hole saw and order some of those plastic grommets?

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Basement Reno Electrical Questions

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Sean ,Hopefully Emtnut comes by soon, he is our resident Canadian electrician here. My electrical is getting a little rust since I have these guys here helping all the time and the codes keep changing but Ill give my two cents;

1) Laundry room can all b one circuit including washer.

2) This could go either way. I think if your only changing the panel and not adding anything then you don't need to add AFCI. But if you add circuits then you need to? Actually AFCI are not actually code anymore they should be CAFCI. See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=5651

3) I believe they do now.

4)That I am not sure of?

5)Again I'm not sure?

6)We dont have rough in inspections here or very seldom, Not enough inspectors to go around. I would suspect the circuits do not need to be functioning, they are looking a routing, stapling, wire sizes IMO. Final inspection will require everything finished up.

7) You for sure need grommets anywhere wire passes through metal.

Now lets see what Emtnut has to say?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Sean1322 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am
Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my basement and am now sitting at the electrical stage. A few questions about wiring/breakers/AFCI requirements. I think I have researched most of these questions almost too much and now my information is all jumbled... so I've come here to put all the answers in one place :)

Note: I fall under the Ontario Building Code

• Can the extra laundry outlet for general use be on same circuit as dedicated outlet for washing machine/gas dryer?
Yes, a general use recept that is in the laundry room can be on the same circuit
• If I replace my breaker panel, and don't modify the circuits, am I required to upgrade any breakers to AFCI or can I just put standard breakers back in?
Unless you modify (ie add to) a circuit, No, a panel change does not require afci/gfci upgrades
• Do dedicated lighting circuits require CAFCI breakers?
Nope, but if there is a single receptacle, then yes. Dedicated does not require AFCI protection
• Do appliances with dedicated inaccessible outlets require CAFCI breakers? (Over the range microwave, gas oven, water heater, furnace, A/C?)
Water heater does not require AFCI, nor a hardwired furnace, the microwave would require it.
If the Gas oven is fed from a receptacle then yes, but not if hardwired

• Does a basement freezer with a dedicated circuit need CAFCI breaker?
Yep

• For the rough-in inspection, do I connect new circuits to the panel? Do I make the connections at the outlet boxes/switches? Or do I just wire nut everything in the boxes?
Connect all bonds (ground wires) and marrette any neutrals and pass through conductors. In the panel, just connect the grounds and neutrals, not the hots. The final inspection is with devices installed
And lastly, does anyone have a preferred method of running wire through a metal top plate? I'm thinking I'll use a hole saw and order some of those plastic grommets?

Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by 'metal top plate' , a pic may be helpful.
I don't think a grommet would pass thou.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 am

I was thinking he is referring to using metal stud plates?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm nearly certain in my area that metal studs require metallic conduit for electrical, either flex armoured, bx or EMT. Metal boxes, too, of course.

The grommets that snap into the studs I think are for plastic pipe (ABS, PVC, pex, etc). Not necessary for metal pipe or conduit.

Sean1322

Post by Sean1322 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated, and much needed :).

As far as my top plate, I'm referring to this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000497093

I ended up buying these grommets, and they are surprisingly very sturdy and hard plastic. I would assume these would meet code, however that's just a guess.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000167936

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm

Sean1322 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated, and much needed :).

As far as my top plate, I'm referring to this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000497093

I ended up buying these grommets, and they are surprisingly very sturdy and hard plastic. I would assume these would meet code, however that's just a guess.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bailey ... 1000167936
Yep, those connectors are approved (CSA) for steel studs.
You're good to go !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~