Outdoor light wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
rchesterton

Outdoor light wiring

Post by rchesterton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40 am

I’m looking to replace my current outdoor fixture with this one. My current one is a metal halide type bulb and I wanted to replace it with LED. This one calls for 120 to 277 V. I’m not sure what’s powering my current fixture but I’m positive it’s only no more than 15 or 20 A. I’m not familiar enough with voltage and amperage to understand if I need more power than what’s up there now to power this or not? It seems ridiculous to put a more powerful circuit in place to power an LED fixture, correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron

Re: Outdoor light wiring

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26 pm

The 120-277 range that is printed on the box is confusing for consumers. Residential power is 120V for lighting, and that is perfectly normal to use for all lighting and always has been, so you've already got installed what you need.

277V is a standard used in commercial lighting. It has better efficiency than 120V, for applications where lighting is usually on constantly, like offices and factories, though with LED that is probably quite moot these days.

So in short, you're good.

rchesterton

Post by rchesterton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:26 pm

That’s awesome. Thanks! I love picking up a little trivia here and there. And I also love comparing it to what the retail “electricians” tell me when I ask (I know most of them are not electricians). The guy I asked today said “yeah you just don’t want to power it over 277V that’s all. It’s a range”. As always, I appreciate your help!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:35 pm

rchesterton wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:26 pm
That’s awesome. Thanks! I love picking up a little trivia here and there. And I also love comparing it to what the retail “electricians” tell me when I ask (I know most of them are not electricians). The guy I asked today said “yeah you just don’t want to power it over 277V that’s all. It’s a range”. As always, I appreciate your help!
Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking I could get a job there .... just so I can wear the orange apron :mrgreen:

I need something ... cause Sprucey fired me ... Again !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 pm

Again? Twice in a row?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

That is one thing I really find in these big box stores is that they don't usually have really knowledgeable people working the electrical or plumbing areas and I have heard them give out bad info to folks who ask . They would be better off to not give any suggestions when they really do not know enough.

One of the worst I overheard and had to step in and correct was to use electrical tape instead of wire nuts for wire joints. With that crap cheap tape they sell in those stores I can imagine most off it would be loose and falling off in no time!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Yeah basically the only thing that store employees should be able to do is help you read the information printed on the packaging, clarify prices, and be able to tell you when they might expect a shipment of something if they're out of stock on an item. This applies to pretty much any store.

There's less-crap electrical tape, too, which is the best I can say about electrical tape in general. 3M Super 88 is the best I've used, and the price reflects it. The 35 series that comes in all the colors is decent, too.

Run away from those bulk 10 packs of the generic black stuff. lol

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Good electrical and tape info to know! thanks to you both!!