What type service box to use for an exterior receptacle

Ask your electrical related questions here
Flywelder

What type service box to use for an exterior receptacle

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 pm

I want to install a exterior receptacle on the underside of my porch roof. it will, require having one of those plastic bubble covers. So, what type /style or model electrical box do I mount to the wall that I then will Mount the receptacle to because this is a "flush mount " and not attaching to a two by four stud. I'll add photos tonight once I convert
them and then upload them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flywelder on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron

Re: What type service box to use for an exterior receptacle

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Are you mounting to the soffit, the underside of the eaves that extend past the side of the house? How do you plan to route wiring?

Aesthetically, the best box would likely be a retrofit style, which is designed to clamp itself to a rectangular cutout. But soffit trim can be flimsy, so it really is ideal if you can establish some timber structure to run parallel to it for a regular box to bolt to that.

If you can post a pic of where you want it on your house, it would clarify things a bit.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Okay. Understood. I just added the pictures.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 am

Ok, good. Yeah, honestly I would try and trim out a 2x4 on the sheathing and bolt a device box that can really attach to that securely and solidly. I'm not sure where your soffit will land relative to the overhang, but it looks like the 12/2 cabling is high enough to go into a box with enough length for inside the box (just enough, it would have been nice if there was a good 18" or so, just for insurance).

The in-use cover would be upside-down, and you'd do a rectangular cutout for the box in the soffit. The front of the box should be flush with the soffit, and the in-use cover just slides into the mounting screws of the receptacle. Make sure it's a GFCI receptacle.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 am

Oh wait, it's a porch roof? So will the "ceiling" of the porch attach to those studs? If that's the case, then the ceiling is above the cable sticking out?

If that's the case, you could cut out a rectangular box hole in the sheathing and install a device box. Then your in-use cover will only stick out beyond the the vinyl siding.

Alternatively, you could just put a surface-mounted exterior box. But if you have a box plus an in-use cover, it sticks out pretty far and really is a bit of an eye-sore in my opinion.

It's too bad your electrician just poked that cable through a hole in the sheathing and didn't put it inside a box for you?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 am

I'd go with something like this ... https://www.amazon.ca/Arlington-DBVS1C- ... B002W6ZOPQ
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:00 am

Yes! Agreed.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 am

Aaron, correct the ceiling will be above the cable sticking out, and will attach to the 2x4s seen in the picture. So, I will go with one of the two options the two of you suggested. Thank you to both!!