instruct how to mount this 3 gang box

Ask your electrical related questions here
Flywelder

instruct how to mount this 3 gang box

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:46 am

In the picture is me holding a 3 gang box between wall studs. I want to the box to be firmly and securely mounted so it does not move, but it is too short to reach the other 2x4. What to do? Should another box be used instead of the one in the picture? Your Links to items, to help get information across to me, are welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron

Re: instruct how to mount this 3 gang box

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:44 am

That bracket on the right side is for additional stability since the box is longer (3-gang or more).

When it comes time to hang drywall, take a small scrap piece of 2x4 block and screw it to the bracket on the right side. The block need be no longer than height of the box itself, it's just a spacer.

After you've zipped out the rectangular hole in the drywall around the box opening and hung the drywall in the usual way with screws to the studs, add another screw or two into the right side of the box into the spacer.

This will snug up that 3-gang box good and tight to the drywall. If you drywall the other side of this wall, you should also put a screw or two in that drywall into the same spacer.
Last edited by Aaron on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 am

Aaron's suggestion will work, though I'd make the block 2 to 3 times the height of the box so that there's less chance of it splitting out when you throw fasteners into it. Personal preference either way. :cool:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am

Yeah I thought of that too... plus probably easier to drive screws into the wood instead of going through that blue plastic as well. Go with Spruce's suggestion.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:32 pm

OH! interesting! so, this spacer does not reach over to the other 2x4 stud, and anchor to it? before you replied,that is what I was picturing I would have to some how do! Thanks guys!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Have a look at this, I know in the picture it kind of looks like the short block is attach the post but its actually ahead of the post and just attached to the box.
fullsizeoutput_6d1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:39 pm

Flywelder wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:32 pm
OH! interesting! so, this spacer does not reach over to the other 2x4 stud, and anchor to it? before you replied,that is what I was picturing I would have to some how do! Thanks guys!
Correct, see Shannon's pic, that is what we're talking about. 8-)

You could put a block over to the neighboring stud, but it really isn't necessary, you only need to stabilize the side of the box, the spacer will do that. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 pm

okay! thanks guys, and thanks for the picture! that really helped me!!